cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

machining model from casting model

ptc-2708796
1-Newbie

machining model from casting model

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I did search, but that search didn't help me solve my problem. I'm making a big machined model from a cast model. I have the cast model done, now I want a separate file for the machined part that reads the cast model. In the past I used ext copy geom, copied the surfaces, merged them into a solid and then I could machine them. I don't seem to be able to do this any longer easily. I found an article about inheritance, but I don't have that option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

Gregory, 1. Create your machine part with only the CS and the 3 datum planes. 2. Create an empty assembly (no CS or datum planes). 3. Assemble you machined part to the assembly. It will be placed automatically. 4. Assemble your cast part. To constrain this part, pick the CS of the machined part and the CS of the cast part. 5. From "Edit" pick "Merge" and follow the prompts. 6. Once the cast part is merged onto the machined part, do not save the assembly. Instead, open the machined part and save it. The assembly is only a means for merging the 2 parts and it is not needed after you merge the parts. 7. Just in case, erase all parts and assembly from memory and bring them back again. Good luck

i am having a similar question. i have modeled my machined part. now i want to make cast part from it. i m using Insert > Shared Data > Merge/Inheritance for it. And in my model tree of cast part, i m having a feature "EXTERNAL MERGE ID ...". Now i want to scale up this model to add shrinkage allowance. But I cant scale up this model. Please suggest. Thanx Ankur

should I use Copy geometry or Inheritance (instead of Merge) or Publish geometry? I dont know what is difference between all these?

Thank you for the help, it's not working quite right and I'm hoping you can clear up my mistake. I get to step 5 and the merge option isn't highlighted. I've tried selecting both components within the assembly and still it's not highlighted. Is there something I need to do other than have two components with the same CS to get the merge option to become available?

Gregory, Sorry. My mistake. Go to "Edit" and then pick "Component Operations" then select "Merge"

Gregory, go to Edit > Component Operations > Merge. Keep reading message area. when it asks for the part to which u have to process operation to, select ur machined part and click middle button. when it asks for reference part, select cast part. Anybody having solution to my problem, please respond. Thanx Ankur

Thank you so much. I was pulling the little remaining hair from my head trying to figure that out.

LOL

You can also make a family table, group all of the machining features and then you can supress them in one instance and not supress them in another

"Chris Kipp" wrote:

You can also make a family table, group all of the machining features and then you can supress them in one instance and not supress them in another

Top Tags