cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

3D plot does not work!!

ptc-2834429
1-Newbie

3D plot does not work!!

Just received the Mathcad 14 DVD and installed it right away. I can't get the 3D surface plot to work. I even open the tutorial and it just shows a fram but no plot. 2D plot works fine. Did I do something worng? Please help!
13 REPLIES 13

Mathcad has a long history of problems with 3D plots. Visit the Collaboratory and look up a number of old threads on the subject. Your symptoms suggest that you have the problem where the frame is drawn with fill, and in front of the actual graph. Change the graph options to remove the frame and see if it works then.

You might try going into /control panel/display/settings and turning off hardward acceleration. I have found sometimes that 3d won't work when "hardware acceleration" is turned on.

I did exactly as you suggested and it worked. Thank you so much. I had the same problem on both computers (a ThinkPad and a SONY Vaio. I can understand if this is a beta version but it is 14th version!!

"Tom Gutman" wrote:

Mathcad has a long history of problems with 3D plots. Visit the Collaboratory and look up a number of old threads on the subject. Your symptoms suggest that you have the problem where the frame is drawn with fill, and in front of the actual graph. Change the graph options to remove the frame and see if it works then.

I have MathCad 14 (M035) + Windows 64 bit. And I can't get the 3D surface plot to work. My problem is very similar a problem of Ping Hsu. I have removed the frame but it doesn't work! What do you advise? Thank you!
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3118328)

Are you new to Mathcad? Have you done 3D plots before? I have to ask, because some aspects of 3D plots are not all that obvious, and we need to be sure there is a real problem. Richard

"Richard Jackson" wrote:

Are you new to Mathcad? Have you done 3D plots before? I have to ask, because some aspects of 3D plots are not all that obvious, and we need to be sure there is a real problem. Richard

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3118328)

Ah. Windows 7. Others have reported problems with Windows 7, including 3D plot problems (although it appears that not everyone has these problems). Sorry, but I can;t help you much more than telling you that. I am a deliberately late adopter of new OS versions, for exactly the reasons you are now describing. Richard
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

"Richard Jackson" wrote:

"Richard Jackson" wrote:

Going to 16 bit from 32 bit color worked for me. With some of the new graphics cards you cannot disable acceleration, but you can control color depth. Win 7, 64 bit, Mathcad 14 ATI FirePro 8700. All this horsepower, and you make it look like a win 95 clunker. But Mathcad apparently only uses 16 bit anyway. At least I got my surface plots back. I found this tip in the colaboratory under 'suspected MC 14 bugs'/3d plots

"John Case" wrote:

You might try going into /control panel/display/settings and turning off hardward acceleration. I have found sometimes that 3d won't work when "hardware acceleration" is turned on.

"Tony Aponick" wrote:

Going to 16 bit from 32 bit color worked for me. With some of the new graphics cards you cannot disable acceleration, but you can control color depth. Win 7, 64 bit, Mathcad 14 ATI FirePro 8700. All this horsepower, and you make it look like a win 95 clunker. But Mathcad apparently only uses 16 bit anyway.

This also worked for me but it was not easy to change the display settings in win 7 at least for me. The following link gives a detailed point and click about changing the hardware acceleration - which for some reason I can't do but an intermediate step is to change the color setting back and forth from 16 to 32 bits.

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=15392

Top Tags