cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Anyone know what the 'unit' dBSx stands for?

ptc-1707891
1-Newbie

Anyone know what the 'unit' dBSx stands for?

Normally, my customers use dBm (dB milliwatt) or dB (logarithmic ratio). I now have one using dBSx, which I have checked and is a valid setting on his meter. I have never heard of the unit. Have any of you?

Mark
9 REPLIES 9

dBSx ... could it be dB"Standing Wave ratio", like it was in my time ?
What kind of meter are you talking about ?
dbSx should be implicit of the "measured".

jmG

One example the work with dB (Base - the power of human heart, p is the power of others objects: Power plants for example):
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/Mathcad_14/Chapter2rus/2-06-dB.PNG
Val
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm

It appears to be a telecom unit. Check with the manufacturer of the meter if you don't want to just ask your customer. I found one meter with the units (but no description) at www.fetest.com.

Lou

On 7/6/2009 11:11:30 AM, lpoulo wrote:
>It appears to be a telecom
>unit. Check with the
>manufacturer of the meter if
>you don't want to just ask
>your customer. I found one
>meter with the units (but no
>description) at
>www.fetest.com.
>
>Lou

It makes sense as per my suggestion. I have recollection of testing all our coaxial cabling using a "Standing Waves ratio meter". No recollection of the brand. In fact it was a "Deviation meter" with the 0 scale center.

jmG

Hi folks,

I think I found out what the unit is. I am taking measurements on a T1 circuit. The meter measures "dBSx," but I can find no description of the unit. However, when I look at the T1 specifications, they use a unit called dBdsx, which is defined as dBdsx(Vpp)=20*log(Vpp/6 V), where 6 V is the nominal peak-to-peak level of a T1 signal. It appears that a number of the meter manufacturers truncate the official unit, dBdsx, to dBSx, dBS, or dBx to make everything fit on their screens.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Finally it looks "dBSx" is a power or voltage ratio of a measured signal vs a reference 6V signal ... is it ? a very specific user unit.

jmG

It is a VERY specific unit to a unique application.

Mark

On 7/10/2009 10:52:41 AM, mbiegertattbi wrote:
>It is a VERY specific unit to
>a unique application.
>
>Mark

Not one pace ahead !

What is it ? A specific unit of what ?
Answer: a specific unit of something or nothing or unknown that nobody knows about. Your definition hits the wall .

jmG

On 7/10/2009 11:12:10 AM, jmG wrote:
>On 7/10/2009 10:52:41 AM, mbiegertattbi
>wrote:
>>It is a VERY specific unit to
>>a unique application.
>>
>>Mark
>______________________________
>
>Not one pace ahead !
>