cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Import Into Mathcad for AISC Shape Tables

baajack-disable
1-Newbie

Data Import Into Mathcad for AISC Shape Tables

HELP!!! Anyone. Here is my problem, I am a new MathCad User. I am creating and optimiztion calculator for very simple problem. Simply supported beam with uniform increasing load to one end. I am importing AISC shapes table via Excel. I have read in the whole worksheet for WT's with insert component, and using Lookup and Reference functions to assign values to engineering geometric properties. Everything works great until I start using the properties. For example, beam deflection calculations using the Moment of Interia, IX. I am trying to graph the set of values from 0 to L. The the graph will not populate because it is expecting a scalar value. All the data imported is assigned as a matrix element, and I cannot get Mathcad to see it any other way. Is there an ability to transform a value from a matrix element to a purely scalar value?

help in KC
7 REPLIES 7

You can extract a scalal element of an array by using subscripts. You can use a range variable as a subscript to get a list of scalars. The 2D plot can plot arrays or lists of scalars. But you have to be consistent. You must use the same form for both the x and y data.

Tom Gutman

Thanks, Tom,

I will give it a try next week. I hadn't used any subscripts in the file yet. I had gotten the shear and moment functions to plot fine, however, I was using only derived loading components (one of which included the beam self from the Table).

Attached is the worksheet, if you might spot my difficulty. I have included the data table as well.

Please let me know if you see any other significant problems that I may encounter. I have not even made it to the beam capacity code calculations.

Regards,

Barry Jackson

Because vlookup can return multiple values (there can be multiple matches for the search argument) it always returns a vector. You can extract the first (usually the only) element of that by subscripting with a zero.

But repeated vlookups for related data is not efficient. Vlookup is quite slow, not to mention clumsy to write. It is much better to use match once, to get an index for the desired row, and then use subscripts to extract the various elements.

Past that point you are using a variable t, which is undefined.

Tom Gutman

Tom,

Thanks for the pointers. I will revise and see if it goes much better. I appreciate your help immensely. This worksheet is the first and easiest of many that I need to create. Having a reliable method will save me tons of hours in the future.

Regards,

Barry Jackson

Hi,
Look the same problem discussion 11 february 2002: Steel design charts.
Good luck,
Remir Zektser(rzektser@gis.net)

Try the files at my website.
http://home.swbell.net/fdale/mathcad/
The one called ASD9W301T&VU.mcd will calculate point and varying uniform loads on any simple beam. AISC tables are included in the Mathcad files. If you input the loads, it will pick a beam for you or let you try one. It will only pick a beam qualifying for "fully supported" Lb. But you can try any Lb (unbraced length) and test any beam you choose for ALL AISC codes to be pass/fail. It looks at web shear, bolt shear, deflection and more....
F.Dale

Announcements