cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Electric field

honex-disabled
1-Newbie

Electric field

I really need an urgent respond to this question.I have tried to analyse it as follows:

since the charge is at the centre of the cube, the distance of the charge to each face of the cube is 5cm (given the side to be 10cm). I got the answers to be (i)zero (ii)452000Nm2/C

A 60microcoulomb charge is at the centre of a cube of side 10cm.(i)What is the total flux through the cube? (ii) What is the flux through one face?
6 REPLIES 6

On 7/31/2009 5:52:32 AM, honex wrote:
I really need an urgent respond to this question.I have tried to analyse it as follows:

since the charge is at the centre of the cube, the distance of the charge to each face of the cube is 5cm (given the side to be 10cm). I got the answers to be (i)zero (ii)452000Nm2/C

A 60microcoulomb charge is at the centre of a cube of side 10cm.(i)What is the total flux through the cube? (ii) What is the flux through one face?

That's not an analysis, that's a statement of the solution.

Been a long time since I looked at this kind of stuff, but I reckon (ii) is about 2.5 times too low. How do you get a total flux of zero if the cube encloses the charge?

Stuart

>A 60microcoulomb charge is at
>the centre of a cube of side
>10cm.(i)What is the total flux
>through the cube? (ii) What is
>the flux through one face?

Size of cube doesn't matter!

(i) q/epsilon_0
(ii) (1/6)(q/epsilon_0)

(Gauss theorem)

Saludos,

Al

>I really need an urgent
>respond to this question.

Asking homework questions on this forum, particularly ones which don't require Mathcad, is generally frowned upon here.

Good luck with your homework set or exam.

- Guy

On 8/2/2009 3:53:41 PM, GuyBeadie wrote:
>On 7/31/2009 5:52:32 AM, honex wrote:
>>I really need an urgent
>>respond to this question.
>
>Asking homework questions on this forum,
>particularly ones which don't require
>Mathcad, is generally frowned upon here.
>
>Good luck with your homework set or
>exam.
>
> - Guy

Is it reasonable that the total flux through the cube is the same as it is through a sphere ? Maybe not, but the book should tell. Maybe not if the cube is a Faraday cage ? The other answer: there is no flux w/o work sheet.

jmG

On 8/2/2009 5:49:26 PM, jmG wrote:

>Is it reasonable that the total flux
>through the cube is the same as it is
>through a sphere ? Maybe not, but the
>book should tell. Maybe not if the cube
>is a Faraday cage ? The other answer:
>there is no flux w/o work sheet.

Lets put a small sheet with educational purposes both in Physics and Mathcad calcs.

Expressions are not simplified or optimized in order to show the most direct translation of Physics equations...

Saludos,

Al

>Lets put a small sheet with educational purposes both in Physics and Mathcad calcs <<br> _____________________________

Most interesting but way above my head !

jmG
Top Tags