cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Finding roots of a non-rational function

Raiko
16-Pearl

Finding roots of a non-rational function

Hello folks,

I have a weird problem: for some measurement data I'm trying to find the roots. This data appears to be best approximated by a sine function. As MathCad's roots/polyroots function works with rational functions only (or am I wrong on this one?) I tried to use the MATCH function together with the control parameter "near".

Weird enough, it finds only a few of the roots (see graph in the attached MC 11 file). Why doesn't it work and how could I improve this?

Thanks in advance

Raiko

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Raiko)

Slightly different approach and I have used your match function.

Mike

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Your fitting functions doesn't look right, have you tried using the smoothing functions with Mathcad?

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike

Hello Mike,

yes this fitting function is an approximation by utilising a sine-function. I tried smoothing, but I'm more confident with the sine function.

Nonetheless, this doesn't solve my problem: finding the roots. Do you believe that MATCH might work better with a smoothed data set?

Thanks

Raiko

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You don't have the correct x-axis for the zero points.

The data doesn't look very sinusoidal to me. If you look at the spectrum there's at least two main frequency components. I think even two frequency components could not model that data very well though.

I have included a different approach to find the zeros using a function that finds the maxima or minima in data (I've posted this function before).

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:RichardJ)

Hello Richard,

you're correct in guessing that this isn't a pure sinusoidal function. It is a oscillator who's hampered by a second oscillator ; coupled therefore.

However, with this fit it is easier to determine the frequency of the oscillation. I still don't get it why the match function fails! Any idea?

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your time. Your approach yields better results.

Raiko

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The match isn't failing. You are just plotting the dots with the wrong x-axis, so they are off the graph.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

you're correct in guessing that this isn't a pure sinusoidal function. It is a oscillator who's hampered by a second oscillator ; coupled therefore.

Hence the two frequency components

However, with this fit it is easier to determine the frequency of the oscillation.

Is that the end goal? To get the frequency?

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:RichardJ)

Richard,

only now I realized that you have send another post.

Yes, I wanted to check the frequency and I ventured to assume that by determining the roots of my fitting function might be the easiest way. But then I noticed the zero points being off.

Raiko

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

But you can just calculate the frequency of the fitting function from j/n.

Also, I think you should be fitting the sum of two decaying sinusoids, rather than only one. You should do that only for the points above about 100 seconds, and you shoud do it by least squares, rather than manually.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Slightly different approach and I have used your match function.

Mike

Hello Mike, Hello Richard

thank you for your help. This did the trick!

Raiko

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Raiko,

I forgot to mention it a while back - where is the Match function defined in your worksheet? I have never seen the 'near' argument used.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

Hello Mike,

what a persistence ! 😉

You'll find the "near" in Match at the Zeros function. Match(=,fir,"near") is assigned to Q.

Cheers

Raiko

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

You'll find the "near" in Match at the Zeros function. Match(=,fir,"near") is assigned to Q.

I take it the "near" is used to instruct the Match function to find scalars close to zero?

Where did you find the use for this? Can't see it in any of the help folders?

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

Mike,

a description of the available parametrs (i.e. control parameters) for the Match function is given in "Data Analysis Estension Pack" in the Matching and Lookup section of the e-book.

Raiko

P.S. Sorry, couldn't copy it from the e-book. Have a look yourself

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

a description of the available parametrs (i.e. control parameters) for the Match function is given in "Data Analysis Estension Pack" in the Matching and Lookup section of the e-book.

Raiko

P.S. Sorry, couldn't copy it from the e-book. Have a look yourself

Cheers.

Learn something new every day hey!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Top Tags