cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Freychet Distribution

ptc-2937010
1-Newbie

Freychet Distribution

I am working through ex 16.2 in Bury's "Statistical Distributions in Engineering" and I cannot get the estimation to evaluate - clues please.
9 REPLIES 9

Post an actual worksheet. Pictures in Word documents are not very helpful.

Plot your expression to see if it actually has roots reasonably close to your guess value.

I have not attempted the plot suggested attached is as far as I got.

Thanks for your consideration - much appreciated

jmG

Trouble with attaching

Parenthesization problem. In the definition of s2 the ln factor is not within the summand but is multiplying the entire sum. Doesn't work, because of the invalid (in that context) use of the range variable i. Fix the parentheses and you get a solution.

There is also something seriously wrong with your file. It is much bigger than can be accounted for by its contents. Copying the entire contents to a new file results in a much smaller file. If you are not actually using MC11 but just saving in that format from a newer Mathcad version, the problem may be in the down-conversion.

And works perfectly (as we all come to expect from you)many thanks. It of course reinforces the old saw "a little knowledge ..."

Unfortunately the text has quite a number of typo's of which this is one.

Re the file size - again I was slow on the uptake having noticed the size thought it was large but did not check - copied from a working version and forgot there is a lot workings parked down below in that version - another case of poor practice.

A week of self - flagellation required

So, where do we stand on that ?
You have 1031 kB sheet vs mine 8 KB !

jmG

The monte !!
I copied what I thought was just the area of interest from a working file to a new file to post. It appears I grabbed the entire contents which included redundant material several sheets down out of sight - so outwardly there is about half a sheet but - - so my apologies for the confusion.

Tom has identified the issue that I had and the matter resolved.

It is worth commenting I think that Bury's text has a number of typo's and this is an instance where the less learned get caught. I have read the preamble and the mathematical form (versus the mathcad form) similarly does not parenthesise the particular expression eq 16.30. Dont know if this good math practise but I see it repeats in othe sections so something to be aware when using that text.

Just realised I answered a question you have yet to ask - my original post was the particular expressions copied into a word doc

Tom asked for a mcd version and thus the answer just immediately given

again apologies for the confusion
Top Tags