cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Tutorial error

fhamilton
1-Newbie

Tutorial error

Task 3�1: Defining and Evaluating Variables
1. Type v, and then press Ctrl+_ to move the cursor below the line of text.

2. Type a, and then press Ctrl+_ to bring back the cursor to its normal position.
11 REPLIES 11

On 9/3/2009 10:22:35 PM, fhamilton wrote:
>Task 3�1: Defining and
>Evaluating Variables
>1. Type v, and then press
>Ctrl+_ to move the cursor
>below the line of text.
>
>2. Type a, and then press
>Ctrl+_ to bring back the
>cursor to its normal position.
>

And, what, pray tell, is the error? It appears to do exactly what the description says it does.

TTFN,
Eden

I was confused by this at first, too, and I think it was because I didn't "read carefully."

In some places in the Help text, we see keystroke combinations such as ctrl+shift+key. In /this/ case, the shift is /implied/, because the underscore is shifted. But the first few times that I tried it, it didn't "work" for me, because I was actually pressing ctrl+-, not ctrl+_.

Perhaps the Help text can be more consistent, but then we'd be faced with the distinction twixt ctrl+t and ctrl+T. Doesn't seem that it would be a problem - might even be more succinct and readable - but might be a candidate for mention in the early stages of Help if that's the decision.

Rich
http://www.downeastengineering.com/

For special characters like ^ or $ or _, we don't say Shift, because on various international keyboards they are not in the same position as an American keyboard. However capital letters are always in the shift position. I did ask the documentation group to make a note about the Shift key since a number of beta testers were confused.

We can't use . for literal subscript because that is now used for the range variable. However, we are thinking of using Ctrl - instead of Ctrl _ (Ctrl Shift -), which would only be 2 keystrokes, to make it easier.

Any opinions?

Mona

why not leave the range variable where it was too, ";"

Fred Kohlhepp
fkohlhepp@sikorsky.com

On 9/21/2009 3:56:30 PM, fkohlhepp wrote:
>why not leave the range
>variable where it was too, ";"
>
>Fred Kohlhepp
>fkohlhepp@sikorsky.com

Probably because newbies wind up typing ".." and getting nothing like what they want.

TTFN,
Eden
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:IRstuff)

On 9/21/2009 4:49:08 PM, eden_mei wrote:
>On 9/21/2009 3:56:30 PM, fkohlhepp wrote:
>why not leave the range variable where it was too,
";"
= Probably because newbies wind up typing ".." and
getting nothing like what they want.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of designer to
suggest that "." followed immediately by "." should
be treated as a range ellipsis?

Given that "," now means "x,y..z" at worksheet
level but not as a function argument, I wonder how
they intend to allow us to enter a range definition
as a function argument (I use this feature
reasonably frequently in both M11 and M14)?

Stuart

I let this sit for a while...I guess that I can see ctrl- as well as ctrl_. In M14, the ctrl- is the vectorize operator, which is not very intuitive to me - I usually use the toolbar. OTOH, neither is ctrl^, though I don't have an alternative offhand.

So I vote for ctrl- for the variable literal subscript...recognizing that "using as many M14 keyboard shortcuts as possible" may interfere. Any other votes fer er agin?

Rich
http://www.downeastengineering.com/

In the scheme of things, matching the MC shortcuts is a nit. There's a bit of an extra learning curve for those who actually use the MC shortcut, but it's rather short.

There are some important considerations for shortcuts, and MC' doesn't measure up very well. Most important is that the shortcuts should be complete. It should be possible (and reasonable, not just a theoretical possibility) to operate the product with the mouse at all. This is really just a Windows standard (although many products don't actually follow it completely),

Keyboard shortcuts must be easy to find. Every button and menu item must present the equivalent keystroke, when used. There are many exceptions to this in MC', MC is much better in this regard.

Keystrokes should be mmnemonic enough that they can be learned and remembered. MC is only so-so in this regard. Many of the keystrokes have clear mmnemonic value, either as standard usages (+, -) or common computer usages (*, ^) or visual puns (#, $). But a lot of them seem purely arbitrary, being just what was left available. MC' does not seem to be any improvement in this regard, in general. The two character sequences are a bit of a help, but not all that much, and there aren't all that many of them.

Another aspect is general principles. MC has a fairly generaly principle, with only a few exceptions, that letters and numbers stand for themselves (parts of text strings) while special characters represent operators, functions to be inserted. And there is the general escape of cntrl-shft-k to allow special characters to be included as part of a name. MC' loses that, with a seemingly random choice of special characters representing operators or themselves. With no escape clause. It's hard to say how important this particular aspect is -- MC' has so many flaws that render it unusable that it's impossible to tell how much each particular flaw contributes to the general unusability.
(To:Ninetrees)

literal subscript can be ctrl+down arrow
Steen Gro�e

We are changing it to Ctrl+- to make easier than Ctrl+_ (no shift needed on American keyboards).

Ctrl+- is vectorize in Mathcad 14.
Vectorize in Prime is Ctrl ^

I was able to revise many of the keystrokes in Mathcad Prime to the keystrokes in Mathcad 14.

Mona
SteenGroðe
6-Contributor
(To:mzeftel)

On 9/24/2009 11:58:25 AM, MonaZ wrote:
>We are changing it to Ctrl+-
>to make easier than Ctrl+_ (no
>shift needed on American
>keyboards).
>
>Ctrl+- is vectorize in Mathcad
>14.
>Vectorize in Prime is Ctrl ^
>
>I was able to revise many of
>the keystrokes in Mathcad
>Prime to the keystrokes in
>Mathcad 14.
>
>Mona

But this is one way to go about it, an even better is to make it optional for the user to design the keyboard layout to fit the needs.

Steen Gro�e
Top Tags