cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

What happened to the symbolic engine in 14?????

ptc-3794547
1-Newbie

What happened to the symbolic engine in 14?????

FV=PV(1+r)^t (using the ctrl= between FV and PV) USED to return the following elegant solution when solving for r using "variable solve" under the symbolics menu: (e^(ln(FV/PF)/t)-1 Now the results returned by the symbolic processor unusable in terms of a general formula. I do note that one can arrive at a solution to the problem by defining a FV PV and t, then using the symbolic = with the keywords solve, r and assume, r>0 but this solution is in terms of the defined variables. Sometimes it is better to have a general solution. Is there a way to force the symbolic processor to render the old Mathcad 13 result?
9 REPLIES 9
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3794547)

"Ken Davis" wrote:

FV=PV(1+r)^t (using the ctrl= between FV and PV) USED to return the following elegant solution when solving for r using "variable solve" under the symbolics menu: (e^(ln(FV/PF)/t)-1

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

That was ridiculously difficult. Using assume, _x=0 should force the solution to the principle value. Richard

"Richard Jackson" wrote:

That was ridiculously difficult. Using assume, _x=0 should force the solution to the principle value. Richard

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

"Ken Davis" wrote:

Any reason why PTC ditched Maple?

Thanks Richard. Not good news about integration. I tested a simple definite integral (a polynomial) and it seemed to take a long time to solve it symbolically. It may have just been my imagination though. The engine did return the correct answer. Something else to keep my eye on... All the Best- Ken

In my last post about the definite integral for the upper and lower limits I just used a and b because I wanted to make sure that the mupad engine could still preform indefinite integration and than substitute F(b)-F(a) in the final symbolic answer. As I said that worked, albeit a bit more slowly (it seemed to me at least)
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Try something marginally more difficult. I have no idea what it's trying to do. It can get the indefinite integral, but then seems to be incapable of performing the simple next step. Kind of pathetic, really. Richard

MuPad generated a Kernel exception (MuPAD DLL Kernel, error 360--which is probably the exception it always throws), and mathcad crashed with a visual C++ runtime error. If you assign -1 and 1 to the limits of integration, you will see a conditional solution but not at all the one you are looking for. Don't know why PTC ditched the maple engine (which I believe could have solved your definite integral) It's very worrisome that MuPad can solve the indefinite integral and then cannot simply substitute the limits of integration into it for your example. I am beginning to think that upgrading was a mistake (and because of PTC's licensing scheme I bought two licensees--Ouch). Does PTC have anything to say about these issues? Does optimize from the tools menu even work with MuPad correctly?
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

"Ken Davis" wrote:

Don't know why PTC ditched the maple engine (which I believe could have solved your definite integral)

Top Tags