Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The requested file is not a valid Mathcad XML work

Perhaps worth reporting in the Bug section, and sending an example to Mona.

Two people reporting the same style of fault is classed as a pattern where I work.

Philip Oakley

On 4/29/2010 4:27:58 AM, josesitu wrote:

>I will never save a rtf again
>because you can open
>directly a xmcd file with word
>for printing.

Word might be able to read a some of an xmcd Mathcad file (not the binary part though), but it can't display it as a worksheet.

Richard

On 4/29/2010 9:06:33 AM, rijackson wrote:
>On 4/29/2010 4:27:58 AM, josesitu wrote:
>
>>I will never save a rtf again
>>because you can open
>>directly a xmcd file with word
>>for printing.
>
>Word might be able to read a some of an
>xmcd Mathcad file (not the binary part
>though), but it can't display it as a
>worksheet.
>
>Richard
>
>

It probably does, if you "save all the images" (in the XML options) which will (I'm thinking) also hold the relative positions on the page.

There was a nice tool last year that extracted all the images from an xmcd file...

Philip Oakley

If you read the original thread, you'll see that it was a user error, not a Mathcad bug, and his original problem was solved. He did expect the math to be editable in the Word document, which it is not.

Philip, do you remember the tool that you describe?

Mona

On 4/29/2010 2:28:53 PM, MonaZ wrote:

>Philip, do you remember
>the tool that you
>describe?

>Mona

xmcdGetPicture.zip

Philip Oakley

Re: The requested file is not a valid Mathcad XML work

I have something very similar happen to me. My file is still a Mathcad XML Document. Same warning showed up when I tried to save the file. The Size is 0 KB now though. Is there any way I can open the file even in Word?

If your file size is 0, then your work is lost. No hope of retreiving any information from it.

I hope (for you) you have a backup, or any other form of previously saved version.

Success!

Luc

I do have a format version we used. It seems I lost a few days work though. Are backups done automatically or you have to create them so often?

Thanks Luc!

In mathcad 11 there isn't any backup function, but then Mathcad 11 hardly ever ruins a mathcad sheet file...

In Mathcad 15 I believe there is an AutoSave function, but it will save to the same file. If Mathcad 15 goes bezirk, it might save your file as a null file... That's how you got yours?

In Mathcad Prime there's no autosave, and I've seen some reports of users having corrupted sheets....

Better safe than sorry: Be sure to regularly save your important work in a NEW file (append the date and/or version number to the file name e.g.).

Success!
Luc

Thanks Luc, I will make sure to do that!