Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unimath not Installed

MoeSzyslak
4-Participant

Unimath not Installed

Hi, All --

I note that on one of my MC 14 M020 installations, Unimath does not appear to be working. I believe that the issue discussed (by another user) here:

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?98860,11e#98860

is just a symptom of the real problem. I create a file on another MC 14 installation and it has the j+ctrl+g 'phi' character. Then, I try to open it on my laptop and all I see is boxes (other characters do not appear to be affected, as far as I can tell). When I look at the font list (from any application, including Character Map) on the affected machine, Unimath is not listed (in any form). I also checked fro 'Mathcad Unimath', but no luck.

I just tried an M020 repair, but no luck. This is a bit of a problem for me as I use my desktop to create many of my worksheets and my laptop for presentations.

Any advice? I am hoping that the first reasonable action for this problem is not, "complete evaporation followed by reinstallation", but I fear that this will be what is required (as it is for most Mathcad problems).

Thanks.

Matt
20 REPLIES 20
SteenGroðe
5-Regular Member
(To:MoeSzyslak)

check if the font is available to windows. If not install it as you would install any font in windows.

Steen Gro�e
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You have to completely reformat your hard drive, then reinstall everything from scratch. And invite your mother in law to stay with you for 3 months over the Christmas period. With her pet poodle that pees on the floor all the time.

OK. I that's a lie.

They are on the install CD:
MathCadUniMath.otf
and
MathcadUniMathItalic.otf

Copy them to the Windows/fonts folder.

Richard
MoeSzyslak
4-Participant
(To:RichardJ)

Richard --

Sounds simple enough, but....

1. They don't exist in the M020 patch (I can get the installation CD from the SysAdmin, I suppose), and

2. The MathcadUniMath.otf file already resides in C:\Windows\fonts (didn't think to check there before) while the italic font does not.

Perhaps my problem is different than I originally thought...?

Thanks.

Matt
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 11/12/2008 4:15:17 PM, Moe_Szyslak wrote:
>Richard --
>
>Sounds simple enough, but....
>
>1. They don't exist in the
>M020 patch (I can get the
>installation CD from the
>SysAdmin, I suppose), and

The M020 "patch" is an image of the complet installation CD. If you run the excutable it unzips. Then look in CD_English\Mathcad\Fonts and you should find them.

>2. The MathcadUniMath.otf
>file already resides in
>C:\Windows\fonts (didn't think
>to check there before) while
>the italic font does not.
>
>Perhaps my problem is
>different than I originally
>thought...?

Maybe. Try deleting the font from the Fonts folder, then copy the font files back in to reinstall them.

Richard
MoeSzyslak
4-Participant

OK, so I am an idiot. I was using an M020 "patch" that I unzipped a while back. Somehow, the fonts folder was missing. I (re-) unzipped the original file and, viola, there was the fonts folder.

So, I did another repair, still no Unimath. So, I tried to double-click the *.otf files -- says they're corrupted. So, I tried to copy them to the Windows/Fonts -- still won't work. Same deal for the files you posted, Richard.

Perhaps my problem is larger than Mathcad?
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That doesn't sound good! I just downloaded the file I posted and double-clicked it to make sure. It works fine - displays a preview of the font.

What OS version are you running?

Richard
MoeSzyslak
4-Participant

Richard --

I'm running XP Pro. My laptop has really been a lemon since the day I got it, though -- the new motherboard after less than one week of ownership should have tipped me off, I suppose.

Matt
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Which service pack?
MoeSzyslak
4-Participant

On 11/13/2008 8:33:07 AM, rijackson wrote:
>Which service pack?

SP3
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I'm running SP2 still (I'm scared of what will break if I upgrade!). That shouldn't make a difference though. Many other people must be running SP3 by now.

If you have an IT group and they ever had possession of your laptop, did they do anything to it?

Richard
MoeSzyslak
4-Participant

We've got an IT guy, but I can't imagine he's done anything that would cause these fonts not to work.
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

With IT groups, I can imagine just about anything. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Richard
SteenGroðe
5-Regular Member

Fonts takes up memory. I can't remember the limit in XP but there is a limit. So all in all you may have too many fonts.

Steen Gro�e
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:SteenGroðe)

It would have to be a lot. I have 607 files in my fonts folder and they all work fine 🙂

Richard
SteenGroðe
5-Regular Member

Yes, the number will be high and the documentation says that it is unlimited (contrary to win95/98/ME) and that a lot of fonts only will increase boot time.
But on the other hand I know of several cases where windows XP drops either fonts or keyboard layout.

Steen Gro�e

Not much makes sense in that thread.

If Unimath belongs to Mathcad, it comes c/w the CD. If it does not come with the CD, it's because it is a useless gyzma font not needed in Mathcad ! The other point is that whatever Mathcad work you will do using "Unimath" will not be readable by normal users because "Unimath" does come with XP-S2 (Family version)

....Unimath = Not found

jmG

You do need Mathcad UniMath for Mathcad 14. It's a Unicode font that replaces the Symbol font for math characters that ships with Mathcad 14.

I don't know why you can't install it. I searched the technical support database, and didn't see any reports of other people having issues with it, except that sometimes you need to reboot your system for it to work.

You'll know if it's not working, because if you type a pi, the region stretches off to the right into infinity.

Mona

I have two laptops here at our company doing the same thing as Matt's laptop. It doesn't have the Mathcad UniMath Italic font installed, and the Mathcad UniMath font is corrupted. So the Greek phi shows up as a square. Any more info on what is causing this?

On 3/10/2009 4:08:04 PM, dteichroew wrote:
>I have two laptops here at our
>company doing the same thing
>as Matt's laptop. It doesn't
>have the Mathcad UniMath
>Italic font installed, and the
>Mathcad UniMath font is
>corrupted. So the Greek phi
>shows up as a square. Any more
>info on what is causing this?

Have a look at http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?120413,99 to see if it helps.

Philip Oakley

Was this problem ever resolved? I'm having the same exact problem.

Thanks

Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."