Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot open document

cannot open document

Hello,

I have been using StudyWorks for about 1 1/2 year. This is the first time I see this error message: failed to open document.

I can open all except this one.

Please help or else I lost hours worth of work!!!

Thanks
Phebe

P.S. I already went to Tech Support knowledge base, but it doesnt address this problem
11 REPLIES 11

cannot open document

Can you post your file? Maybe someone else can open it.

Additionally, have you made any changes to your system such as Antivirus settings? One known problem is that Norton Antivirus' macro virus settings will clobber Mathcad files with embedded objects from other programs, regardless of whether there's anything in them or not.

TTFN,
Eden

cannot open document

On 10/5/2003 2:01:59 PM, eden_mei wrote:
>Can you post your file? Maybe
>someone else can open it.
>
>
>Additionally, have you made
>any changes to your system
>such as Antivirus settings?
>One known problem is that
>Norton Antivirus' macro virus
>settings will clobber Mathcad
>files with embedded objects
>from other programs,
>regardless of whether there's
>anything in them or not.
>
>
>TTFN,
>Eden

Attach is the file. I tried disabling McAffe anti-virus and the document still wont open.

The document is virus free ( I did mcaffee virus scan) on it.

Thanks
Phebe

cannot open document

I had no trouble opening the file. I saved it as a SW file. It is attached.

PKA

cannot open document

On 10/6/2003 9:01:07 AM, pkalford wrote:
>I had no trouble opening the
>file. I saved it as a SW file.
>It is attached.
>PKA

It says file is in use, it will be open as read only then it says failed to open document :(((

Phebe

cannot open document

I also had no problems opening the document in Mathcad. I did find an incomplete expression at the bottom, which I removed, in case it was the cause of the problem. I don't know what level of Mathcad files Studyworks can read -- I saved the file as a MC 2000 file. That seems to preserve the hyperlinks.

The file in use is normal if you are trying to open the file directly from the web and there is already a copy of the file in MSIE's cache. It usually doesn't matter much, but for your purposes here you should rigth click the link and do a save as to somewhere where you want the file.

Also, if you haven't already done so since you had the problem, reboot your machine. It is possible for problems to corrupt memory in your system, such as in shared DLLs, such that you need to reboot to clean it up.

Tom Gutman

cannot open document

No trouble. Saved as Mathcad 8
---------------------
Physics: Common Sense made Obscure by Mathematics Don Sparlin

cannot open document

On 10/6/2003 9:13:55 AM, sparlin wrote:
>No trouble. Saved as Mathcad
>8
>---------------------
>Physics: Common Sense made
>Obscure by Mathematics Don
>Sparlin

It still say failed to open document :((

Phebe

cannot open document

Phebe,
I think that it is your PC. Since Don, Tom or I had any trouble. Have you changed any settings lately? Have you installed a new program? Have you had a machine crash? Maybe if you reinstall StudyWorks the problem will correct itself.

I have saved Tom�s file as SW2001. It may open.

PKA

cannot open document

You can try to run Regtool, if you have it, which is located in the Mathcad directory for the main program. If it's there, unregister all components, then re-register all components.

Failing that, you'll probably need to do a clean un-install of Studyworks and then re-install.

TTFN,
Eden

cannot open document

I just opened pkalford's SW2001 file post with my SW2002 with no problem. (Hyperlinks of course will not work though.)

cannot open document

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY for helping me out.

Problem solved wohoo!!!!

I reinstalled Studyworks.

Last week I installed and configured a hardware and I did registry maintenance, system maintenance etc.,, I probably deleted something that caused Studyworks not to work .

Now, I don't have to stay up till 3o' clock in morning to redo this material(which I need tomorrow morning).

Regards,
Phebe
Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."