cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

drop test simulation

gbon
1-Newbie

drop test simulation

Hi Everybody,

I have to analyse a plastic part that fall on a concrete floor for determining if it breaks or not.
So I have to simulate a sort of crash, impact, shock.
I know that dynamic shock simulation is not for this.

So is there any documentation or tutorial that would help me to do this ?
Thanks for any advice,

GB

1 REPLY 1

Ifyou want to use Mechanica, then your only option is to run it as Dynamic Time analysis.

You could apply impact load as, for instance, half-sine impulse of Acceleration load, or a half-sine Base Acceleration impulse (the latter option is better for it gives you option tocheck Mass Participation factors to ensure youuse enough Modes from the pre-requisite Modal analysis).

To estimate the amplitude of the impulse load, you will also have to either get some information from the field or make corresponding assumptions, i.e. what's the duration of the impact, does it bounce off the floor, etc. Then use simple phsics equations (pretty much Newton's laws) to estimate the amplitude.

However, Mechanica Dynamic Time is linear dynamics analysis, so you can use it to predict whether for instance max stress will exceed yield on impact, but it won't tell you whether this will result in rupture of the material. If you really have to determine whether or not it in fact breaks, then you need to use Explicit FEA solvers, such as LS-Dyna etc.

These are just some pointers, hopefully helpful.

Yuri

Top Tags