cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Licensing Problems. anyone help

ptc-2960930
1-Newbie

Licensing Problems. anyone help

can anyone help me out here i paid the money for the student edition, and i can't get it to work any suggestions on what to do will be greatly appreciated
3 REPLIES 3

Hi The license is tied to the MAC address of your network card. If you are not on a network, you need to get and use an offline license as well. So, if you have installed the software and gotten a license file from ptc.com, the next thing you need to make sure is that the MAC in the license is the same as the card you are actually using. If you have a laptop/notebook that may not be the case at all. I suspect this is the root of your problem. If on top of that you use a docking station, with yet another network card inside, chances are very high that something goes amiss. Basically, you must make sure of 2 things: That the network card with the license-carrying MAC address is not deactivated, and that it is on top of the list in the registry - see the document attached, made by Mark Fischer of PTC some years ago. Then it should work, though you may have to reinstall if you want to change the license to a different card. The licensing procedure is causing me lots of troubles also. And frankly it is outrageous that you have to mess with the Windows registry in order to run a licensed application. I hope they correct that for WF5.

thanks for the help i really appreciate it. i got it to work and i understand what it does how it changes the host id through two different addresses i found one was the ethernet adapter LAC i tried that then had to go through where you enter the long # from the confirmation email and continue to re install it in the ptc set up application. and it didn't work it gave me the same error when i tried to run pro e. so i tried flip flopping the two instead of the ethernet adapter ID # i used the wireless LAN but when i tried to generate the license it told me "error you have generated the license for the maximum number of times" so looks like i am SOL for now i ordered the back up CD today so now i'm waiting for that to come in the mail. can you email me instead of using this forum - . thanks for your help i've been fighting this for over a week now it's getting old. but i think i'm getting closer to working brandon

I am having the same problem. Please post the solution ASAP. Thanks Andy
Top Tags