cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

One license two computers

dvarkevisser
1-Newbie

One license two computers

Dear all,

I am working as a CAD consultant an I own one WF4 license. Once and a while I want to use the license on a laptop instead of my Workstation.

Is it possible to do this? Without having to install crack's or buy a second WF4 license? Is is possible to use a hardware-key (dongle?)

Kind regards,

Dennis Varkevisser

+31 6 50 68 01 79
</u>
4 REPLIES 4

Are your computers networked? If so it's pretty easy. You install the
license on on computer as a license server and serve it to the other.
Only one PC could use it at a time.

I'm assuming that you'd want to use Pro|E on the road, so I'd use the
laptop as the 'server' and acquire the license from it when I wanted to
run Pro|E on the desktop. If the laptop was going to be gone for a
time, you can borrow the license to the desktop for up to 15 days. Keep
in mind, you cannot return it early, so once you borrow, you'd have to
use the desktop for Pro|E until the borrow period was over.

If they aren't networked, it's not impossible but it is harder.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Hi Dennis,

You can use license borrowing, where your laptop can take the license from your workstation for a fixed number of days. During that time you can not use that license on the workstation. You can not return the license before the borrowing time expires, so you have to think carefully about the duration of borrowing.

Alternatively you can use PTC's online license management tools to transfer the license to your laptop. Essentially you then have two license.dat files for the same license, and both will work. Legally you are required to physically remove the license.dat on the PC that you are moving it from. You agree to doing so in the license management tool.

Finally there is the option of using a VPN connection to your home workstation, and take the license via VPN. Of course this means you will always need to be online, be able to get through firewalls etc, and have a reliable connection.

Best regards,

Patrick Asselman

---- Dennis Varkevisser <dennis@flexibleengineeringsupport.nl> schreef:
> Dear all,
> I am working as a CAD consultant an I own one WF4 license. Once and a while I want to use the license on a laptop instead of my Workstation.
> Is it possible to do this? Without having to install crack's or buy a second WF4 license? Is is possible to use a hardware-key (dongle?)
>
> Kind regards,
> Dennis Varkevisser
>
>

Dennis,

Maybe another practical solution is to put the license on your laptop and run a license service on it (this does not take up much resources at all). That way you can always run Pro/E on your laptop, and if you want to run it on your workstation you just have to make sure that the laptop is turned on, and connected to your local network, so the workstation can take the license from the laptop. I'm sure that this can always be arranged.

Regards, Patrick Asselman

---- Patrick Asselman <p.asselman@chello.nl> schreef:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> You can use license borrowing, where your laptop can take the license from your workstation for a fixed number of days. During that time you can not use that license on the workstation. You can not return the license before the borrowing time expires, so you have to think carefully about the duration of borrowing.
>
> Alternatively you can use PTC's online license management tools to transfer the license to your laptop. Essentially you then have two license.dat files for the same license, and both will work. Legally you are required to physically remove the license.dat on the PC that you are moving it from. You agree to doing so in the license management tool.
>
> Finally there is the option of using a VPN connection to your home workstation, and take the license via VPN. Of course this means you will always need to be online, be able to get through firewalls etc, and have a reliable connection.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Patrick Asselman
>
> ---- Dennis Varkevisser <dennis@flexibleengineeringsupport.nl> schreef:
> > Dear all,
> > I am working as a CAD consultant an I own one WF4 license. Once and a while I want to use the license on a laptop instead of my Workstation.
> > Is it possible to do this? Without having to install crack's or buy a second WF4 license? Is is possible to use a hardware-key (dongle?)
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Dennis Varkevisser
> >
> >
>

Alternatively, you can get a network card that slides into the pcmcia port
on the side of your laptop, and get an adaptor that lets you put it into
your other computer. You would then have to set the network metric so it's
the first card in the list. You can then tie your license to that card and
just move the card between computers.

See microsoft knowledge base article #258487