Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO E STUDENT VERSION TROUBLESHOOTING

I have purchased a copy of Pro E 3 student. However It is constanly crashing on me and not responding. This is making it impossible to do anything I cant even open files or make assemblys etc. Can anyone help me?
2 REPLIES 2

Greetings Andrew! The most common problem that my students encounter with the student edition is related to video card problems. First, you need to create or find a file on your computer that changes the way Pro/ENGINEER works - "config.pro". This file is a text file (no font information, no paragraph formating, just letters, numbers, and symbols). It typically is stored in the "Pro/E loadpoint"\text folder. On my computer the Pro/E loadpoint is "C:\Program Files\proeWilfire 3.0"; yours could be the same or different depending on how you installed it. Here is the complete path for my config.pro file: C:\Program Files\proeWilfire 3.0\text\config.pro. (Note the last period is the end of the sentence, not a part of the path.) This file can be opened in Pro/ENGINEER or in a text editor such as Notepad provided with the Windows operating system. To access the file in Pro/ENGINEER, choose Tools, Options. This should cause an Options dialog box to open. There is a textbox called "Option:", start typing the word "GRAPHICS" into this textbox. Pro/E should guess the rest of the word, press the TAB key when it does. Next to the "Option:" textbox is a "Value:" textbox. Sometimes this area is a textbox; other times it is a listbox depending the the option chosen. In this case, the option chosen "GRAPHICS" has a list associated with it. Click on the small arrow on the right side of the listbox and choose "win32_gdi". Now for the tricky part. I am going to assume that your "Showing:" listbox says "Current Session". Between the "Showing:" listbox and the "Sort:" listbox there are two icons: open and save as. The open icon looks like a folder and the save as icon looks like two disks. Choose the save as icon. The Save As dialog box opens. Change the "Look in" folder to be your Pro/E loadpoint\text folder. Change the Name textbox to say "config.pro" without the quote marks. NOTE: This will NOT work if the name is current_session.pro. Click on OK in the Save As dialog box. Click on Close in the Options dialog box. Exit out of Pro/ENGINEER. Start Pro/ENGINEER again; enjoy the software. You must exit out and come back in as the option that was set will only be read when the software is started. (Similar to the way the computer reads io.sys, config.sys, and autoexec.bat when the computer is started.) Here the alternate method. Open the program Notepad (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Notepad). Type (or copy and paste) this line: graphics win32_gdi Choose File, Save as... and the Save As dialog box opens. Change the "Save in:" location to be the Pro/E loadpoint/text. (Remember it was C:\Program Files\proeWilfire 3.0\text\ on my computer, it may different on your computer.) Here's the tricky part. In the "File name:" textbox, use the name "config.pro". Be sure to include the quote marks as part of the name. If you do not, Notepad will change the name to be config.pro.txt, Pro/ENGINEER will not find the file, and you will be right back where you started. Click on the "Save" button. If Pro/E is open, close the program. Start the software again, and see what happens. The other solution provided by PTC is another option called "use_software_opengl"; however, I have found that this option is far worse than the "graphics" option. PTC will push the software opengl because it is newer. You can try either option. I wouldn't recommend both at the same time. If all this business doesn't solve your problem, consider starting over. Uninstall Pro/E, and re-install it. I hate giving this advice as it is so cliche and rarely changes anything, but reinstalling does work for some. Good luck Andrew! -Rick.
Highlighted

RE: PRO E STUDENT VERSION TROUBLESHOOTING

Thank you sooo much It works I can finally start my coursework Thanks again