cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Part & Model in different location.

CBenner
5-Regular Member

Part & Model in different location.

I should know this, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I have parts spread out all over the network, and I keep the drawings in a single folder. The part names are descriptive and the drawing names are the part number. I have WF 4, no PDM... and yes! I have a search path in my config.pro and a search.pro that contains every folder name that I work with (full path name). For about 90% of my drawings, I must first open the model before I can retreive the drawing. The other 10% mysteriously open up just fine. This should be simple, but can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
6 REPLIES 6

I have a similar problem. Only stranger! I was experiencing problems with missing components when I opened my assemblies. Someone in this forum told me I had to create a search.pro file and add a search path to my config.pro. So I did, and everything was OK... So I shut down my computer, went home, had a good night sleep and, on the next day everything was going wrong again with Pro/E unable to find the missing parts. I created a new search.pro... nothing... I added quotes (") to my search paths... nothing... I removed quotes from my search paths... nothing... I checked and rechecked my search paths... nothing... I did all that I could think of and had zero results. It never worked again. I'm thinking about throwing my computer out the window! At least then I'll know what's wrong with it! Best regards! JVidal
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:JoseVidal)

OK... update. I created two different drawings in the same session... 5 minutes apart. The parts in question are in two different locations, both are included in the search path. I closed Pro E to clear memory, and started a new session. One of the two drawings opens with no trouble, the other one says "model xxx is not in this directory". This is maddening. I love the consistency here.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:CBenner)

The solution, as it turns out... is that Pro E is so advanced it cannot read the name of a folder that has spaces in the name. Adding the ever wonderful "underscores" to the folder names in question solved the issue. Thanks to all who tried to help.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Chris, I was under the impression that if we put the complete path in between quotes there would be no problem. Example: C:\ProENGINEER\Standard Parts >>> would cause you trouble "C:\ProENGINEER\Standard Parts" >>> would be OK No sure, though! Best regards! JVidal
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:JoseVidal)

Jose, yes that will work. but at our plant, we have a program that creates our "search.pro" automatically each night by compiling a text file liesting every directory on our Pro E drive. That ensures that any new folders we created during the day do not get missed being added to the search path. But this program does not know to include the quoteation marks... so we're going to have to use the dreaded underscores in our folder naming. This is so 1980's. Thanks Jose!
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

That's a nice procedure you guys have. Too bad Pro/E doesn't like it! Best regards! JVidal
Top Tags