cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

ProductView and Pro/E on solaris 10

minerae
1-Newbie

ProductView and Pro/E on solaris 10

I've installed productView and Pro/E on my Windchill server (solaris 10), however, whenI try to publish something it always errors out. It appears that I'm problems with Pro/E wanting the xserver process running in the background. Has anyone set this configuration up successfully? I've reviewed TPI 143625 and I am having difficulty setting up the virtual frame buffer decribed in the reference.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:minerae)

In Reply to Andrew Miner:

I've installed productView and Pro/E on my Windchill server (solaris 10), however, whenI try to publish something it always errors out. It appears that I'm problems with Pro/E wanting the xserver process running in the background. Has anyone set this configuration up successfully? I've reviewed TPI 143625 and I am having difficulty setting up the virtual frame buffer decribed in the reference.

Thanks

This is what I have done to get this setup on Solaris 10.

1. Install ProductView adapters as root
  2. created a new system (Solaris) user called cadworker. This is the user the Pro/Engineer process that is doing the publishing will be running under. I didn't want root running Pro/Engineer.
  3. ran proe2pv_config as user cadworker
  4. set perms on /opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill/tmp/pubtemp directory so cadworker can write to this directory. Since my install is on a zfs file system I did the following:
    1. zfs set aclmode=passthrough pool1/opt/ptc/Windchill
    2. cd /opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill/tmp
    3. chown cadworker:guest pubtemp
    4. chmod A+user:cadworker:list_directory/read_data/add_file/write_data/add_subdirectory/append_data/write_xattr/execute/write_attributes/write_acl/write_owner:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow pubtemp
  5. created /opt/ptc/worker/proeworker.root script (see contents below). The sole purpose of this script is to start the user cadworker's startup script.
  6. In Site | Utilities | Worker Agent Administrator set "Execute command" = /opt/ptc/worker/proeworker.root
  7. as user cadworker created $HOME/proe_setup/proeworker.cadworker script (see contents below). The sole purpose of this script is to find a vncserver running on the localhost as the user, set DISPLAY to this display, and then fireup proeworker.
  8. logged into windchill server as user cadworker and started a vncserver: "vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1200x900". The nice this about running a vncserver is that you can get to it from anywhere with vncviewer and do things like run proepublish manually to debug problems.
  9. Successfully published several Pro/Engineer models.

Contents of /opt/ptc/worker/proeworker.root
server4# more proeworker.root
#!/bin/sh
#rsj 08/31/2009
#This script starts proeworker as user cadworker
su - cadworker -c /export/home/cadworker/proe_setup/proeworker.cadworker
server4#

Contents of cadworker's $HOME/proe_setup/proeworker.cadworker script

server4# more proeworker.cadworker
#!/bin/sh
#rsj 08/31/2009
#Script to launch proeworker
#The main function of this script is to find a vncserver running as
#the user (cadworker) and set the display to that server.
if [ "`ps -ef | grep Xvnc | grep $USER | grep -v grep`" != " ]; then
#the user already has at least one vncserver running on this host
#find the current running viewer display(s)
#vds=`ps -ef | grep Xvnc | grep $USER | grep -v grep | awk '{print $9}'`
vds=`ps -ef | grep Xvnc | grep $USER | grep -v grep | cut -c52- | awk '{print $2}' | sort | head -1`
DISPLAY="`hostname`${vds}"
export DISPLAY
else
#no displays found so we need to exit
echo "Error: No vnc displays found for $USER"
exit 1
fi
cd $HOME/proe_setup
./proeworker
server4#

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------