cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Saving to STL and losing resolution

ptc-2752984
1-Newbie

Saving to STL and losing resolution

Hello, When I save my cylindrical part as an STL file I am losing resolution. The sides become polygonal rather than rounded when I open the STL file in another program. How would I save this at a high enough resolution to hold all details? thanks very much!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2752984)

When you save in STL format, you can specify the resolution.
Not applicable
(To:)

You can refine your STL output by selecting the Options setting in the Save dialog box. You use the Max Deviation options. As far as the distance and angle settings in Max Deviation, These are relative numbers that are used to refine the facets that are used in the display of your parts. You can test this, by building a cube. Check the part properties and look at facet refinement. There will be no options, because there are no curves to generate. Add a hole to your cube, and check again. It is probably easier to refine the facets on your model BEFORE you save an STL. Open the Part and Assembly menu. At the bottom, select properties. Select a part, and the Part Properties dialog box will open. Bring the Facets tab to the front. Now you have another option to use that is much simpler. You can select a factor to refine your facets by. An STL file is generated from what you see on the screen not the actual geometry of the model. The distance and angle numbers will vary depending on the geometry you have created. If you look closely at a feature of your part, such as a hole, you will see that it does not display as a circle, but actually, a number of small straight lines. (facets) The distance and angle settings represent the relative size of these facets. The more you refine these facets, the better looking your model is on the screen. (and the worse your graphics performance will be) The STL file has a direct relationship to these facets. The more you refine the facets, the more triangles you calculate in your STL model. Do not refine too far, as the file size can get huge. Your STL machine usually has a limit in how thin a layer of material it can build. This is the usually the limitation when it comes to building a smooth looking prototype part. I have had best results when I ignore the numbers, and refine the facets by a factor of two. Then I look at it on the screen, and if the curves look good when I zoom in, I generate the STL file. If it does not look good enough, I refine it again. When it comes to STL files, what you see is what you get. It is important to note that you are ONLY converting graphics data to STL data, you are not exporting actual model geometry. This is why you can export your data from CoCreate Modeling PE to STL, but other export functions that export actual model geometry (like IGES STEP or SAT) are turned off.
ptc-2752984
1-Newbie
(To:)

Thanks, that helped a lot!

Ok, sorry about the multiple questions but I'm a little confused. I increased the resolution as Mike mentioned and on screen the part looked great - very smooth. I saved it as an STL and sent it off to see what it would look like, but the STL file is still very faceted (pls see screenshot). The PK2 file on CoCreate looks great though. I know Mike mentioned that the facet setting only affects the graphical view and not the model. Is there another setting I'm missing here that would improve the model itself, or is this a limitation of the PE edition? I need it as an STL or IGS file. thanks again.

I should mention that I set the facet setting through the 'Part and Assembly menu', but when it came to save time, I just clicked save as a STL file. I assumed the new facet setting would have been picked up from the changes I had done in the 'Part and Assembly menu' - maybe I was wrong to assume that?
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2752984)

The PE version isn't limited when it comes to exporting STL files. STL is a graphics format by definition. STL files contain a collection of triangles, i.e. your real model is approximated by triangles. Hence, a facetted look in the result is unvoidable. Bascially, you can only try to get smaller triangles (this is what the facet resolution is for). Claus
Top Tags