Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still got the spool problem...

ofirfe
1-Newbie

Still got the spool problem...

Hi guys,

Although I agree with the replies I received concerning the spool being a feature I am still dealing with the issue that every time I reload the harness the changes made to the spool are not saved rather exist separately which forces me to always "READ" in the modified spool info.
I don't agree with that approach since not all users are Pro/Cablers and thus will not know whether their harness has the correct spool parameters loaded.
I feel that when saving the harness ALL information needs to be saved with it but what I see is that the spool parameters that were created initially are permanent and cannot be changed only by "WRITING" the spool info and then re-reading them.

To this I need a solution - otherwise I'm stuck with a method that will eventually backfire...

Rgrds,
Ofir Feingold
Elec. Packaging Des. Eng.
Rafael - Missile Division
Tel.:972-4-9906110
Fax:972-4-9906143

This message (including any attachments) issued by RAFAEL- ADVANCED DEFENSE SYSTEMS LTD. (hereinafter "RAFAEL") contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, may constitute information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact us immediately and thereafter delete this message from your system. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or forwarding of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Ofir,

A spool file is an intrinsic feature that will not parametrically update the spool file or back to
the logical reference data. If you are using logical reference data, change the spool parameters
in the source file whether it be RSD, Diagram, Vesys, etc. and logically reference and update it.
If the spool only exists in the assembly, change the parameters and update your assembly. If you
want to keep the changes for use in future cables, write the spool file over the top of the old
file. I think that was your initial question, you do have to save the spool to a file, but you
should not have to do this again unless you make more changes, and you should not have to read it
back in again - it's already in that harness. It sounds like you are doing everything that I
would do.

If you are still having problems with it not saving, I can only guess that you are messing with
the conductor number parameter. Cables with conductors do not like to be reordered by simply
changing the conductor number parameter in the spool, it won't save. Instead, you have to remove
the conductors and put them back into the cable in the order you want them. All other parameters
I've dealt with should update and save.

This has been my experience with Cabling for the last 8 years or so. That is not saying PTC
didn't change something. I can no longer use flexible component tie straps as splices. PTC told
me they took that functionality away in WFII M220. Now any cables I used flexible components in
build M180 vaporize my session of Pro - it blows Proe away. I have to launch build M180, take all
of the flexible components out, save, and reload it in M220.

Regards,

Chad Helland

--- FEINGOLD OFIR <ofirfe@rafael.co.il> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Although I agree with the replies I received concerning the spool being a feature I am still
> dealing with the issue that every time I reload the harness the changes made to the spool are
> not saved rather exist separately which forces me to always "READ" in the modified spool info.
> I don't agree with that approach since not all users are Pro/Cablers and thus will not know
> whether their harness has the correct spool parameters loaded.
> I feel that when saving the harness ALL information needs to be saved with it but what I see is
> that the spool parameters that were created initially are permanent and cannot be changed only
> by "WRITING" the spool info and then re-reading them.
>
> To this I need a solution - otherwise I'm stuck with a method that will eventually backfire...
>
> Rgrds,
> Ofir Feingold
> Elec. Packaging Des. Eng.
> Rafael - Missile Division
> Tel.:972-4-9906110
> Fax:972-4-9906143
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> This message (including any attachments) issued by RAFAEL- ADVANCED DEFENSE SYSTEMS LTD.
> (hereinafter "RAFAEL") contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and
> purpose, may constitute information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise protected
> from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact us immediately and
> thereafter delete this message from your system. You are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> copying, dissemination, distribution or forwarding of this message, or the taking of any action
> based on it, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us
> immediately by e-mail
Announcements