cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

dual monitors

ptc-2881532
1-Newbie

dual monitors

Is anybody using dual monitors? If so is the productivity much better in getting the job done?
11 REPLIES 11
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-2881532)

A big yes to both questions. Since we use both Pro Engineer and AutoCAD. We can have our P&ID's open one one side while we model the piping on the other... also good for keeping email open on one side. Love the setup.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Yes to both as well. Nice thing is that you can get by with smaller monitors, I'm using twin 19" monitors. Its much easier to move your eyes from screen to screen than to toggle between programs, especially when referencing another drawing or FEA model.

Twin 19s all the way for me. I think it makes sense no matter what software you use. Dual head cards are standard (read cheap) and monitors are very inexpensive finally. Could never go back, though.

I use 2 monitors, usually one for the pro/e assy and one for the associated drawing, the MRP system, or another assy where I get info from. Very uselful and productive.

When I'm not using the second screen to display a drawing or a table or datasheet or something like that I have my email on it so I can see emails come in (then I can choose to ignore them. ) Due to redundancies here, there are loads of spare monitors knocking around. Surely there are other places in the same situation.
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-2499105)

Yes to both. I use both screens all the time, but tend to consider one screen as the main one. I might be working on one part while having its assembly visible in the other window. Of course it doesn't usually update until I click on it, but sometimes it does. It depends on what I'm doing. I also have the wider screens, 1920 x 1200, which seems to suite ProE very well. I can have the tree visible and still have plenty of space for the model window.

So I just got ProE loaded on a dual monitor setup, and I can't seem to get ProE to reopen on the secondary monitor after closing it there. Anyone else have this issue, or know how to get ProE to always open on the secondary monitor?

Yes - you have to set your "secondary" monitor as your primary monitor in windows. Easier than it sounds but still a little annoying for those that like to use their laptops both with and without the larger desktop monitor on a regular basis. Right click on desktop -> Settings Tab -> Select the screen labeled '2' -> click check box for "use this device as the primary monitor"

Try the following, assuming your using an nvidia card and that you want Pro/E on teh Right hand screen.

Enable nvidia desktop manager

Add vertical grid on LH screen, approx 3/4 width (will split screen 1 into 1:1 & 1:2)

Add hotkey (Alt+Z maybe) to place a window into display 1:2

There's a few other settings in the nview menus that you could try as well

Tell pro/e to have separate floating model tree using config & screen customisation.

Most of the time the model tree will stay in the left screen in the display 1:2.

When you switch parts it will sometimes flip back onto to screen 2.

After a while it becomes 2nd nature to quickly press Alt-Z (or maybe a button on a space mouse) and the window swithces straight to display 1:2 again.

It's not perfect but it does allow some more real estate on the 3D screen.

Ant

llie
16-Pearl
(To:arobinson)

Almost all of our engineers use dual monitors. I did go into the NVidia control panel and set a hot key for Alt + Z to move Creo to the second monitor for a couple people that requested and It works like a charm.

Downside: Each new Creo window opens on primary monitor, must use Alt + Z to move to 2nd monitor

Thanks Ant

llie
16-Pearl
(To:arobinson)

Here is another option:

Open nView Desktop Manager, select Applications, Add, Browse, go to the following location below and select xtop.exe, Open, OK, select the Application the xtop application, Individual Settings and match the image below. Select OK and OK from the nView Desktop Manager to close the window.

Downside: Creo is centered in the 2nd monitor, but every new Creo window opens on 2nd monitor

C:\RTN\PTC\Creo 3.0\x64_creo3-m120\Creo 3.0\M120\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj

2nd.jpg

Top Tags