cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Export STEP file from Windchill

JiffiPop
12-Amethyst

Export STEP file from Windchill

Hi all,

I am having an issue with exporting as .step file from Windchill. We commonly do this to liason with suppliers, of course.

My workflow is something like this: I save a .prt as as .stp and have it attached to the original .prt content in Windchill. Then, when I want to export this, I go to the part in Windchill and press the download button (circled in orange in attached screenshot). However, it brings up the prompt that can be seen in the middle of the attached screenshot where it tries to import the step file that I would like to export.

This feature works how I want it to when I login to Windchill in a browser like Chrome, but I want it to work the same way in the Creo browser. 

Any idea why this is? How can I ensure the download button actually downloads the file, not imports it as a new part. I have no problem with this workflow when I do the same thing with .stl files.

Thank you!

Jeff Houston

3 REPLIES 3
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:JiffiPop)

This appears to be due to your file association mapping for step files to be opened by Creo. If you remove that in your Windows setup, the browser should not try to launch Creo. Or you can change Chrome to alter what it does after downloading file. Its in settings.

avillanueva_0-1671658273908.png

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Perhaps I mistyped. My problem is that when I press this download button (in image below) in the Creo embedded browser, the step file does not get downloaded. Rather, Creo imports and tries to open the step file instead of downloading it to a folder on my PC.

08104030_4py6.jpg

Hi Jeff,

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs354480 seems to answer it 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS241580   Also states the same

Thanks,
Vishwas 

Announcements

Top Tags