cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Impacts of skipping revisions

AP_10483126
10-Marble

Impacts of skipping revisions

I would like to know what are the major impacts of giving a freehand to end users to skip revisions.

1)Is there performance impacts in Windchill.

2)Are there any downstream impacts due to the skipped revision sequence.

3)What are the impacts on the search engine of Windchill

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@AP_10483126 

Here’s your concise answer.

No

No

None

Keep in mind OOTB Windchill has a wt. property which allows you create a “skip list” of rev values to skip. This alone should confirm there’s nothing wrong with skipping revs. Skipping revs is very commonly done.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:AP_10483126)

So, you are considering allowing users to alter what is default on the next revision when you revise items. As far as I know, there are no performance impacts or search impacts. The system keeps an sort order of what revision is latest even if you insert a revision that was skipped later. I know there is insert for docs and parts but I am not sure about CAD. 

From a CM perspective, I would never give users that ability. The only thing they can do is mess it up. Say, they are at C and want to go to E but oops, picked F. There is no action to alter. Only thing you can do is delete and recreate which can be a pain, sometimes requiring admin rights. In a tight system, there should be no reason to skip revisions for in house work. If you are looking to do alternate sequences like numeric then alpha, that's another configuration.

The only case I have seen for not using the default is for importing customer or external data where you may only get bits and pieces of their data periodically. What's your use case for considering this?

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:avillanueva)

Would you not want your CAD version to match that of the part gear?

What version do you get when you checkin the CAD with 'build part structure'?

@AP_10483126 

Here’s your concise answer.

No

No

None

Keep in mind OOTB Windchill has a wt. property which allows you create a “skip list” of rev values to skip. This alone should confirm there’s nothing wrong with skipping revs. Skipping revs is very commonly done.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:d_graham)

I hadn't thought they might be asking about the skip property. Good catch. Well summarized.

Thank you for the inputs. But in Windhcill 10 there was a case when we were using the skipped revisions and with 7K users in the system the diagnosis led to the performance issue in search due the skipped revisions. This also had repetitive ESI failures. So that means there will be no impact due to skipped revisions in that case. Is it mandatory to set this property if we opt for skipped revisions?

@AP_10483126 

If you plan to ALWAYS skip revs that would otherwise contain the character(s) you plan to skip, I would definitely take advantage of using the “skip list” property. This is the whole intent of PTC introducing the skip list property. It’s been a part of Windchill at least since v8.0.

The “skip list” property work.

Thank you .

So does this mean do we need to update the skip list periodically  or it is updated automatically when we skip the rev?

Announcements

Top Tags