cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

CLI to view Project Infomration to determine whether it is a Top-Level Project or SubProject

pnone
4-Participant

CLI to view Project Infomration to determine whether it is a Top-Level Project or SubProject

Hello Support,

In a system there are many projects have been created.

Some are with "si createproject" and others are with "si createsubprojects" commands respectively.

By using "si projectinfo" commands for any project, how to determine with which commands it was created?

In essence, which property within the Project I can see using CLI or GUI to determine "si createproject" was used or not?

Thank you.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise
(To:pnone)

"AddProject" ACL permission can be denied or allowed to control that permission, Pashan.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Pashan None‌,

There are two ways I can think of to determine if a given project is a top level project:

1) As you suggested, use si projectinfo -P <project>:  Count the number of crunches ('#') in the Configuration Path.  If there's only one, that should indicate that it's a top level path.

2) Run si projects, and parse for your project in that list.

Regards,

-Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:KaelLizak)

I've received confirmation from senior TSEs on the first option.  They also recommend against using the second option for this, because the second option is much less performant, especially if visibility permission checking ("top level filtering") is enabled for that Source Integrity server.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

pnone
4-Participant

Hello Kael,

How do I create the Top-Level Project?

Is it only "CreateProject" command or something else?

Thank you.

Regards

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Pashan None‌,

Yes, si createProject or it's GUI equivalent Project --> Create Project... are the only two ways to create a project.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

pnone
4-Participant

Hello Kael,

Is it possible to convert an existing Sub-Project to a Top-Level Project type at the same hierarchy where it is existing now without MOVE to the Top of the path?

Thank you.

Regards

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Pashan None‌,

It's not possible to convert a subproject to a top level project.  You can share a subproject as a new top level project, but that's functionally the same as a move.

I'm not sure how you mean hierarchy in this context, but at a guess, I would say that every top level project defines the top of a hierarchy as the root of that hierarchy, so you couldn't convert a subproject to a top level project in the same hierarchy by definition.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

LLawton
14-Alexandrite

I am confused by this response ("It's not possible to convert a subproject to a top level project."), because I have converted subprojects to top-level projects without any problems.

All I do is "add project" (in the gui) and browse to the subproject I want to convert.

Then the subproject shows up in the list of projects (with the full path), and behaves exactly like a project.

For example:

If I want, I can also drop the subproject and the conversion is complete:

And if I change my mind, I can re-add the dropped subproject to its original project.

In my view, the word "top" is misleading, you don't need to move anything. All it means is that my old subproject now shows up in the top of my hierarchy, which is simply called "project".

I cannot get rid of the "/z Projects/" prefix, so my new top-level project will never show as strictly "/z OEM-01/project.pj", which may be what you meant by "move". It's a little ugly, but that's the price I pay for not creating it right in the first place.

pnone
4-Participant
(To:LLawton)

Hello Laurent,

Your answer was the clue I was looking for. By using "Project --> Add" menu I can make any sub-projects appear in the top-level within the "Projects" window.

Thank you for the correct answer.

Can you tell me what is the permission which blocks that privilege at the server side?

"CreateProject" permission will only block Top-Level Project. But it is not blocking the "si addproject" command for an user.

Any clue.

Thank you.

Regards

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:LLawton)

Hi Laurent Lawton‌,

You're absolutely right.  I knew that, and yet it somehow slipped my mind.  Pashan None‌, Laurent Lawton‌'s answer is the correct one.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

pnone
4-Participant

Hello Kael,

Can you please responds to my last question about blocking "si addproject" command for an user using Permission?

"CreateProject" permission doesn't control that "si addproject" feature.

Which one else?

Thank you.

Regards

MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise

"AddProject" ACL permission can be denied or allowed to control that permission, Pashan.

Top Tags