cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Security Alert Log4j Security Vulnerability. Click here to know more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FVA fields kills document performance

mrump
14-Alexandrite

FVA fields kills document performance

We have been facing performance issues in our document managment for a while since we've updated from 10.6 to 11.1.

The symptoms are as follows:

- view/edit live documents works normally

- "view as of" for doucments is extremely slow (up to several minutes before a 10 node document opens)

- "view document differences" is extremely slow (up to several minutes before a 10 node document difference view opens)

- "Edit in Word" - workin with a single node is ok, but useing the chapter or entire document option is extremely slow (up to several minutes - sometime even errors in a timeout)

The behaviour was not consistant over all our segment and node types (some where extremely, while others worked much faster), so I took a deeper look into our setup and found this:

IMHO there is a general problem in the handling of FVA multi-valued user fields when it comes to historical operations. 

In our node setup of the affected segment types we have a FVA field "project authors" which is referencing a multi-value user field in the project backing item.
It's use was to allow editability rules on the nodes like .... and "project authors" = -current user- ....

I first removed all rules (editability and visibility) for fields and the node itself which had no effect.
But when i removed the "project authors" field from the node type's visible fields definition, 
I saw an incredible performance boost (seconds instead of minutes).

Re-adding the field decreased the performance instantly to the slow values i had before.

Removing the FVA field speed up the system again.

For cross checking I added a different FVA "project stakeholders"- again referencing a multi valued user field from the project backing item- , that was never part of the node type before.
The new field decreased the performance instantly to the slow values i had before.
Removing the FVA field speed up the system again.

Has anybody made the same experience?

I'd like to hear your thoughts

BTW:

Of course I initially made an case with ptc support (but after 2 week I still got no helpfull answer yet)

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise
(To:mrump)

Hi mrump,

Is your Support case still open and being investigated, to reference? 

Are you using Oracle?  In regard to the FVA/performance issue, I think I recall Support seeing that enabling FVA fields as columns inside the document view significantly affected open document performance, so perhaps you could be seeing something like that?

I think in that case, some Oracle tuning/skipping nested loops was required.

mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:MichaelChatel)

Hi @MichaelChatel,

thx for the response.

YES we are using Oracle (as it was recommended by PTC years ago).

Just to be absolutely clear on this; the FVA field is not to be displayed in a (document-) view. Actually it is not even part of the node's presentation template.

Just having a multi-valued User FVA referencing your Project Backing Item in the node type's list of visible items is enough to trigger the problem.

PTC support provided a 1.st patch this morning (containing a modified oracle function definition).

My first tests show, that it had barely an effect at all.

Smiley Frustrated At least it seems not to worsen the problem

Announcements

Windchill RVS Users

Please take our

Windchill RV&S Authoring with Formula Editor Survey