cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How can I make one change to multiple requests? Mass update?

tmiller-3
1-Newbie

How can I make one change to multiple requests? Mass update?

As an example, we have 10 existing change requests. I would like to input the words "Project 1" into the summary or title of each without opening each individually. Anyone know of a process to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ty,

You can "batch edit" from within the Integrity GUI client.  If you check the Integrity user guide, for your version of Integrity, search for "Batch Editing Items".

You simply multi-select the items you want to edit from your items view, and Pick "Edit Item" from your Edit menu in the client.

Also, depending on your scenario, you could probably write up a CLI command as well, but batch editing is available from within the GUI client.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Ty,

You can "batch edit" from within the Integrity GUI client.  If you check the Integrity user guide, for your version of Integrity, search for "Batch Editing Items".

You simply multi-select the items you want to edit from your items view, and Pick "Edit Item" from your Edit menu in the client.

Also, depending on your scenario, you could probably write up a CLI command as well, but batch editing is available from within the GUI client.

khoppe
14-Alexandrite
(To:MichaelChatel)

Batch Edit like explained won't work with a text field which shall get additional content like described.

For this use case I suggest to use Query Result view with Option "Table Content  ==  Editable".
Then you are able to do the requested change in the list.

Batch Editing is more practicable from my perspective for Fields of type   Pick, State, User,

AND  if you have text fields with option  logging.
Reason: Multiple edit will exchange  (= overwrite) existing  existing entries with new chosen content.

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:khoppe)

Hello Ty Miller, Klaus Hoppe‌‌, and Michael Chatel‌,

Klaus Hoppe‌ is right.  I'm assuming the goal here is to not have to edit the fields by hand, as opposed to trying to get the edits to all have the same timestamp.  For text fields, the easiest approach to get something like a batch edit would be to create a batch/shell script (depending on the client platform), fetch the value of the field to be edited, and then add the text in the appropriate way to the field.  Assuming rich text, and assuming you're appending text to the existing contents, you'd probably use these steps:

1. im viewissue --showRichContent --batch <issueID>
  2. Parse the output of step 1 to get the relevant field's contents
  3. im editissue --richContentField=<RichContentFieldName>=<OriginalFieldContent>+<NewContent>
    <RichContentFieldName> refers to the actual name of the relevant field, and <OriginalFieldContent> refers to the contents of that field, both from step 2.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

So rich text can be updated in a java script for an individual item ie. I recieve an email reply to the item type I can have the item updated with the reply email details.

Klaus is quite correct. The bulk edit for plain text fields is an overwrite. You can't "add text" to the field, simply replace it. If replacement is what you're after, bulk edit is your best bet. If you're looking at add text, you'll need a script for that, and the edits would be done individually.

What's the reasoning behind editing in this manner? Is this to make the edits easier for users? Or looking for some sort of performance improvement? Keep the updates atomic, so that if any one fails they all fail?

Personally, I think that an enhancement request is in order. Something that will perform either a recursive or non-recursive field replacement on the edit value. For example, if you were to bulk edit the Summary field, with a non-recursive update, you could use replacement text of:   Project 1: {Summary}   which would prefix the original value with the static text.

Yep, I smell an enhancement request coming any second now...

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:jbates-2)

Hi Jim Bates‌,

I completely agree.

Ty Miller‌, you can find the Ideas/enhancement request section here.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Everyone provided fantastic feedback. The first answer worked for what I was doing. I am frustrated for not realizing that it was that easy. Sigh. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their input. This conversation was definitely fruitful for me.

Top Tags