cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Managing large amounts of test cases effectively

NilsN
6-Contributor

Managing large amounts of test cases effectively

Hi all,

We are currently investigating how to organize large amounts of test cases. One of the challenges we face is that we have divided our test cases into many so-called "test sets". These test sets for example divide test cases into regression and complete test sets, but they may as well be in both sets. Also, we use test sets in case test cases are applicable for various system configurations.

My question is, does anyone have experience in managing test cases over multiple sets? I guess the brute force (and error-prone!) method would be to create test groups for each test set, but I'm very curious if there are examples of more elegant ways to do this?

Regards, Nils

6 REPLIES 6

Hello Nils.

before I give a longer answer one clarification:

With Test Groups you mean the Test Group Document or Just a Heading in an existing Test Document?

You know that this Test Group Document is technically speaken just an Integrity branch, where you get new IDs for every (!) Test Case when you add one?

Volker

NilsN
6-Contributor
(To:VolkerEckardt)

Hi Volker,

Thanks for your reply. I was indeed thinking to use Test Group Documents for this purpose. From within a Test Group Document it is possible to include Test Protocols, without giving the test cases a new ID, right? (Content - Include - Document.. )

Regards, Nils

Hi Nils,

ah, you do it that way. Ok.

Then you have to create lots of Test Protocol Documents to cut all the test cases into manageable small pieces.

The alternative is to group the test cases using headings.

By classification Attributes you can then filter a document (or multiple documents) inside a test project and get as a return for example all headings that are related to Regression testing.

Then you drag-drop the result set (the multiple headings) into your test session.

The next time you can filter by a flag called Integration testing. As a result you will get all headings related to this test type, and then the same step again: select them and drag-drop into a new Test Session.

The Beauty with this approach is that you always get additional test cases when added. (because the Heading will automatically take all childs.)

I would need to know more Details about your particular use case to suggest perhaps alternatives.

But this is from my perspective one of the easiest Option to handle also large numbers of test cases.

Let me know what you think about it.

Volker

NilsN
6-Contributor
(To:VolkerEckardt)

Hi Volker,

Interesting suggestion! That is indeed much more elegant than creating all those Test Group Documents. So that means placing (individual and groups of) test cases under a heading, and this heading then gets some tags attached to it? So I would create an extra Field, much like the "Category" field in which the users are able to select multiple items from a pick list. Is that what you mean?

Nils

Yes, exactly.

Hi Volker,

Guten Morgen !

Want to ask one thing and related to this topic only...

When we create our Test Objective and add Test Cases then Relationship field should show only Test Suite Document rather then showing all documents created in some project...
Please take a look over the image.
And even if we check Tests Relation Field there are only Test Suite Document, Test Case and Test Group are available in allowed types but still every objects come there...

I just want to know how you are handling this scenario ? 
Danke Volker. 

Kapil

Top Tags