cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Move Attachments to another database or file server

ZAQXSW123
4-Participant

Move Attachments to another database or file server

ALM system save attachments in database, it makes database get too big after years. It make database is hard to maintain. Can we move attachments to another database or to a fileserver?

2 REPLIES 2
awalsh
17-Peridot
(To:ZAQXSW123)

It's possible to manually extract the attachments from the database per item, and store them elsewhere.  Removing attachments entirely is more complicated, and I'd recommend contacting PTC Support for help with this.

But that doesn't solve the real issue - which is a way to store attachments outside the database.    I think this Idea is what you are looking for:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Integrity-Ideas/File-Vaulting-for-attachments-in-Workflow-amp-Documents/idi-p/477761

ZAQXSW123
4-Participant
(To:awalsh)

Hi awalsh:

I tried to save the attachment in SCM. and using source link to add it to an item. But I think this is not an acceptable workaround.

Because I can't find the download button in the source link field. That means if user add an item to an item using source link and save content in one project. when another user need to check this attachment, he must download the whole project contents to sand box and find the attachment in it. maybe user only want to download a log file about 20M, but he must checkout whole project which is bigger than 1G. It will take too much time and hard disk to download a small attachment.

Maybe i missed other configuration or other operations which allow user to download attachments directly using sourcelink. Do you have any suggestion about down load content from source link?

Top Tags