cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

PTC ILM: new web UI and no further development for the rich client?

JensN.
13-Aquamarine

PTC ILM: new web UI and no further development for the rich client?

Hi all,

it seems that PTC finally has made the decision to focus in it's future development for ILM on a revamp of the web client and to stop the further development of the rich client. I'm wondering what will this mean to us? We're using ILM in two major projects. One project is focussing on requirements management as a doors replacement in different departments, the other project is using ILM for requirements management, change management and configuration management (incl. source code management) for embedded software development. Users in both projects are working only with the rich client at this time.

I think a switch to a web-client is not that big issue for the first project, the same way to work is well known with other tools like jira or stages and so on. I'm worrying a bit about the second project, particular for the work which is normally done with the SI-part of the rich client. The greater complexity of SI compared to GIT or SVN is one of the points where i wonder how this could be build into a web-client. Another topics could be the performance of file operations and the handling of huge sandboxes with a web client.

Or (a completely other idea) is it possible to stay with the rich client for SI and to use the new web client only for the IM-part? How about things like si-project or sourcelink-fields in this case? Could this work?

Any other opinions?

cheers, Jens

4 REPLIES 4
phartwig
12-Amethyst
(To:JensN.)

Jens,

There is a working group for this topic.  If you are interested, the link to the group is: Integrity Lifecycle Manager UI Replacement.  The group is just starting and your participation is encouraged.

Thank you,

Paul Hartwig

JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:phartwig)

Hi Paul,

thanks for the link. I'm really interested in this topic and looking forward for the upcoming informations and discussions and so on.

kind regards, Jens

spartridge
5-Regular Member

Hi Jens,

We are currently in the design phase. 'As-is' analysis was just completed, 'gap analysis' is in progress. Your participation in the workgroup is very valuable since it will help us make decisions on how to approach certain topics such as source.

The group above is currently in the "recruitment" phase with the first meetings getting kicked off in a couple weeks so stay tuned!

Steve

Rocko
17-Peridot

Please note the link is outdated, as it points to the Subcommunity and not the group. You'll need to go here:

Integrity Lifecycle Manager UI Replacement

BR

Roman

Top Tags