cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

[SI] Merging Child DevPaths

JensN.
13-Aquamarine

[SI] Merging Child DevPaths

Hi @all,

it seems that i didnt understand the "merging devpath into parent"-functionality. I have a project. This project includes a subproject, and this subproject has a devpath. The mainline has an actual revision 1.5, and the devpath branches from 1.2. The devpath itself now has revisions up to 1.2.1.8. Within some of the last revisions the devpath became some new members and subprojects, and the mainline became also new members. Now i wanted to merge the DevPath into the mainline, but it doesnt work.

Thats what i was doing:

• In the Mainline-Sandbox i tried /Project/Development Path/Merge Child Development Path...
  • in the upcoming dialog i choosed the DevPath-Name and a ChangePackage.
  • then i click at "OK" and i get a message "The selected source development path has no changes to propagate", and instead of doing a merge i got a new checkpoint at the devpath.
  • ?!?

Why? What am i doing wrong? This is from my point of view exactly done like its described in the documentation?

We're using 10.6 with hotfixes 3 and 4.

Thanks, Jens

2 REPLIES 2
mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:JensN.)

Hi Jens,

the "Merge Child Development Path" command is more or less a wrapper around the "Resynchronize by Change Package" command.

This leads to two important constraints:

1. "Forward Propagation" => the higher revision number (either on mainline or Branch) is always preferred

2. only closed Change Packages are taken into account.

Given this constraints, is the behavior you see explainable ?

HTH Matthias

JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:mrump)

Hi Matthias,

thanks for your answer. Maybe your statement is an explanation for the behaviour, but nevertheless the behaviour doesnt match my expectations or my understanding. Integrity-documentation says following:

1. With the parent revision selected, start the merge development path operation, and then specify the child development path and an item to capture the changes (if workflows and documents are enabled).The command creates a propagation change package that contains the changes necessary to perform the development path merge.
  2. Review the contents of propagation change package to ensure they are correct. Make changes to the change package entries if needed.
  3. To complete the merge, submit the propagation change package. If necessary, resolve merge conflicts. When finished, view the result in the project history.

So my understanding is that Integrity will create a change package and fill it with all change entries, and i have to review these entries afterwards. This doesnt match to the real behaviour. In real integrity doesnt create a change package, instead you have to selct an existing one. And this existing one will not be filled with entries for the change, at least not in my case.

So maybe i have to ask my question in another way: How can i merge a development path into the mainline, if both paths have different members, and members with different content? And, last but not least if the devpath also includes new subprojects? As a result i expect a mainline, which include all members and subprojects, and the content of the members should be merged or updated too. And i fear that this is just not working with Integrity.

kind regards, Jens

Top Tags