cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

mksdomaingroup multiple description edit

afsalva1
6-Contributor

mksdomaingroup multiple description edit

Hi All,

I'm looking for a solution for the Integrity Domain group. I have an mks domain group, which we required to modify the description info whenever we added or remove the users. As you all know if we use the CLI command will clear the existing description from the domain group and add the new line which we parse.

Do we have any alternative options or suggestions that we can add extra lines of information in the description field without removing the existing description?

Note: As of now we have plenty of groups that need to update like this way, so that manual effort is time-consuming and unresponsive sometimes. 

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Afsal Ashraf 

2 REPLIES 2
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:afsalva1)

I have a solution that I don't like but I don't have time to improve at this point: I use an Excel file to keep track of all the information, and I use formulas to generate the CLI commands.

So in your example, you can have a formula that generates the contents of the cell for description, and every time you run the CLI you overwrite the description but it doesn't matter since it's the full one anyway.

I have to scrub my file before I make it public. I'll attach it as an example as soon as possible.

To me, the real solution (that I started on my system but left incomplete for lack of time) is to have users and groups as Integrity items with all necessary metadata, and all the management automated via triggers.

This whole function should be basic product functionality and there were discussions about that about a year ago but I lost track of where it went.

afsalva1
6-Contributor
(To:LLawton)

Thanks for your reply. It would be great that you can share the excel which has a certain set formula for extract the description information , any idea which leads to implementing the whole solution then, it would be a great help.👍

Top Tags