cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Adding an Attribute for Change Request

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Adding an Attribute for Change Request

Open the Change Request list of attributes in the Type and Attribute Managemnt utility, then Action Edit and select the star to add a new attribute.

When I enter the information, then Finish, I get this error message:

ATTENTION:

An attribute of type "java.lang.String" cannot be created because no database colums of that type are available. Contact your system administrator to execute the AddColumns utility which will allocate more columns.

Can soeone give me more details on running the AddColumns utility, what inputs are needed, where it is located, how to run it, etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben Loosli wrote:

Open the Change Request list of attributes in the Type and Attribute Managemnt utility, then Action Edit and select the star to add a new attribute.

ATTENTION:

An attribute of type "java.lang.String" cannot be created because no database colums of that type are available. Contact your system administrator to execute the AddColumns utility which will allocate more columns.

Can soeone give me more details on running the AddColumns utility, what inputs are needed, where it is located, how to run it, etc?

Hi Ben,

I did this some time ago. Here is the response from tech support:

AddColumns wt.part.WTPart String=3 Long=4 Double=1 Z:\Windchill\src

This example adds 3 String columns, 4 Long columns and 1 Double columns to

WTPart type's database schema.

Rebuild the client jars after manually running the AddColumns tool. Use the following steps to rebuild the client jars:

1. 1. Stop the server
  2. 2. Open a windchill shell
  3. 3. Run the following commands: cd <windchill>/codebase ant -f MakeJar.xml
  4. 4. Restart the server

The above example is for WTPart, but doing it for Change Request wasn't that hard to figure out. IIRC, the Help Center instructions were incomplete, missing step 3 above.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Hi Ben,

It seem’ s you are creating Standard attribute for Change request. Standard attributes are stored in columns directly on the underlying object class. Out-of-the-box, there are no additional columns on any object class for standard attributes.We need to run Add column Utility to create a column for Change request.

Running the AddColumns Tool:

Command is: AddColumns type_name datatype=number {datatype=number}

Where, type_name is class name for object(wt.change2.WTChangeRequest2)

Datatype - if you want to create string attribute then write string

Number is, how many columns you want to create

For e.g , if you want to create a column for change request object for string data type then you have to run the below command using windchill shell

Addcolumns wt.change2.WTChangeRequest2 string=1

Above command will create a cloumn in WTChangeRequest2 database table.

Then , Rebuild the client jars after manually running the AddColumns tool. Use the following steps to rebuild the client jars:

1. Stop the server.
  2. Open a Windchill shell.
  3. Run the following command:

cd <Windchill>/codebase ant -f MakeJar.xml

4. Restart the server.

After creating a column, then you can create a standard attribute for change request.

I would recommend you to perform this on test server first.

Let me know, if you have any doubts on this.

Thanks,

Jalpesh

Ben Loosli wrote:

ATTENTION:

Hi Ben,

I did this some time ago. Here is the response from tech support:

AddColumns wt.part.WTPart String=3 Long=4 Double=1 Z:\Windchill\src

This example adds 3 String columns, 4 Long columns and 1 Double columns to

WTPart type's database schema.

Rebuild the client jars after manually running the AddColumns tool. Use the following steps to rebuild the client jars:

1. 1. Stop the server
  2. 2. Open a windchill shell
  3. 3. Run the following commands: cd <windchill>/codebase ant -f MakeJar.xml
  4. 4. Restart the server

The above example is for WTPart, but doing it for Change Request wasn't that hard to figure out. IIRC, the Help Center instructions were incomplete, missing step 3 above.

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

All,

Please remember Windchill's context-sensitive help topics. Clicking on the (?) button on the screen that gives the error leads to the WHC topic: Creating a New Attribute.
Good information there regarding the difference between Standard and Global attributes.

Top Tags