cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Anybody managed to setup a SolidWorks 2016 File Syncronisation Worker on Server 2012R2 OS?

sprosser
6-Contributor

Anybody managed to setup a SolidWorks 2016 File Syncronisation Worker on Server 2012R2 OS?

Hi all,

I'm a little bit lost. We are going to move our server infrastructure from 2008R2 to 2012R2 including all my Windchill visualization workers.

A first test has shown that moving a Creo 3 worker from 2008R2  to 2012R2  is not an issue.

When trying to do the same with SolidWorks 2016 worker I ran into a problem.

GS Worker Deamon starts a SolidWorks.exe process but this stops immediately after launch - regardless if the Service is running with user permissions of a logged in user or with SYSTEM and "Allow service to Interact with desktop".

It seems that Solidworks does not know where to display it's gui... has anybody experienced the same or knows how to allow the application to pop up on the desktop or virtual desktop?

launching the swworker.bat interactively works fine ... just when launched by the service it stuck.

Thanks,

Stephan

2 REPLIES 2
sprosser
6-Contributor
(To:sprosser)

Hi all,

I managed to get it running...

The option for “Allow service to interact with desktop” caused the issue. – by default, services are not allowed to access your desktop unless this box is checked.

But in Server 2012 R2  just checking that box doesn’t immediately give them access – you would also need to make sure that the NoInteractiveServices value in the registry is set to 0, because when it is set to 1, that checkbox is ignored and services can’t interact with the desktop at all.

The Key can be found at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows.

Stephan

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:sprosser)

Similar here - moving all servers to Amazon Web Services (AWS).  We now have our CAD Workers (Creo Parametric and SolidWorks) as Windows 7 Enterprise OS installed on a VM on an Amazon Win 2012 server.  Took a bit but working perfectly.

Top Tags