cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Attribute creation and linking

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Attribute creation and linking

I am wondering if I am doing this wrong.

Am I correct in saying that for me to be able to add a new attribute in a Creo file and link it to PDMLink I have to create the attribute 3 times?
The first would be as the site admin in the Manage Global Attributes window.
Create it a second time in the Manage Types window then link the two attributes.
Then create it a third time in the CAD file as a parameter and designate it to the PDMLink attribute?

Is there no way for me to combine the first two by creating the global attribute then check a box or browse/select the type to link it automatically to the CAD Document type? If combining the two is not possible then that seems to be...less efficient.

Or am I just doing it wrong?

Steve Galayda

1 REPLY 1
cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:STEVEG)

Hi,

You need to declare/create the parameter (give it a name, type, properties). At that stage the system does not know for wich object you are creating this parameter for.

You then need to associate this parameter to the object (EPMDoc, or sub type, or WTdoc or sub type etc...) A same parameter can be associated to different objects and behave slightly differently (for instance for one object you have restricted value for another object you have no restriction but this will be the same parameter)

The above operation is a one off task

Now if we are talking about parameters for EPMDocument, You generally the EPMDocument and the parameter driven by the CAD file. so in ProE you have to create the parameter and give it its value. The system will automatically map this parameter into the database and add its value into the database.

If you do not want to create that parameter in a new cad file everytime you can include it into a template. Everytime you need it you will need to create it into the new CAD file but not in PDMLink, In PDMLink it is a one off task

Saying htat you have to create the attribute 3 times is a wrong statement.

Hope this helps

In Reply to Stephen Galayda:

I am wondering if I am doing this wrong.

Am I correct in saying that for me to be able to add a new attribute in a Creo file and link it to PDMLink I have to create the attribute 3 times?
The first would be as the site admin in the Manage Global Attributes window.
Create it a second time in the Manage Types window then link the two attributes.
Then create it a third time in the CAD file as a parameter and designate it to the PDMLink attribute?

Is there no way for me to combine the first two by creating the global attribute then check a box or browse/select the type to link it automatically to the CAD Document type? If combining the two is not possible then that seems to be...less efficient.

Or am I just doing it wrong?

Steve Galayda

Top Tags