cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Baseline in Windchill / Intralink 10.0

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Baseline in Windchill / Intralink 10.0

Can anyone point me to a nice online explanation of Baselines in Windchill/Intralink 10.0?

An online search yields the typical "Baselines are a fixed collection of objects", "A Baseline is itself a managed object", etc.

There seems to be info online and in documentation about how to CREATE a Baseline, but not much discussion on how a Baseline is USED in a practical sense.

My first impression is that a Baseline is merely a snapshot of the contents of a Product or Folder at a specific moment in time. I presume that Baselines are used to get back to a specific moment in time in case a tragic event should befall a top assembly or critical component.

But questions remain. Is a Baseline just a mega-backup of sorts? What are the consequences of restoring a Product to a Baseline created weeks/months ago? (Loss of all work accomplished since the Baseline was created?) In general, how are Baselines created/managed/used in the day-to-day real world?

Hence my quest for a practical explanation of Baselines in general. Not just how to create them, but how they are used. What to do, and what n-o-t to do.

Anyone know of an all-encompassing online explanation covering both an overview and the nuts-and-bolts?

TIA.

(Windchill-based Intralink 10.0 m030 with

3 REPLIES 3

Scott

Maybe the attached presentation will you help you

Regards
Darren

Darrin - Just read thru the really excellent documentyou posted about Baselines / Managed Collections. Thanks for posting. Do you have a whole collection of similar documents? Want to share some addtional (we have about 600 similar, all areas).

Too bad I can't LIKE your presentation.

Regards, Hugo.

<< ProE WF5 - PDMLink 10.1 M040>>

Top Tags