cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Basic retrieval of data using Java/SOAP?

MattH
1-Newbie

Basic retrieval of data using Java/SOAP?

My organization has an existing installation of Windchill and PDMLink and we are interested in integrating the Part and BOM data from those systems with third-party systems in the Enterprise. Our intention is to write a Java app that pulls data from Windchill/PDMLink and puts it into the other systems. We don't have a big ERP system, so we're not interested in doing heavy automated connectors -- we just want a simple way to retrieve data from Windchill using it's SOAP webservice.

Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation to get me started. I found some webservice documentation (http://<my windchill server>/Windchill/infoengine/jsp/tools/doc/index.jsp) but I don't know how to go about calling that webservice. Could somebody help point me in the right direction?

• How do I do a simple SOAP call to retrieve information from Windchill?
  • If I get the Windchill installation files, is there an API or something I can include in my Java project?
  • Is there somewhere I can find sample code for this scenario?

Any help would be appreciate and I'm happy to clarify or provide further information if necessary. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Hi!

I'm just curious - do you need to use SOAP for your project?

The reason why i'm asking is because we have developed a small extension to Windchill which allows to communicate with the system using standard HTTP methods and no SOAP stuff.

The API is extremely simple to use and besides the possibility to query for content and its related information, you're also able modify/add/change content in Windchill using this API. You can use the API from whatever language or system you want - as long as it can 'talk' to Windchill by sending HTTP requests to its URL and process its responses.

We have quite some documentation and examples for this and if that sounds interesting, just let me know and we can arrange some demo...

Best regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael!

No, we're not set on SOAP and I'm open to exploring other possibilities. SOAP just seemed like the most straightforward of all the integration options.

I'd be very interested in setting up a demo. I will send you a private message to arrange.

Best,

Matt

I'm very interesting in this API. How I can to start? What must I read? Please, help.

Michael - can you give us pointers to information about this simplified API? B

Michael,

I would also be interested in this API. Anything that would help accelerate the process of automation would be useful and my personal background is in C# not Java, so this might be ideal. If you could let me now that this API still exists and provide some more details that would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Ben Messenger

Hi everybody,

I´m interested too ... Has this questions been answered yet?

Best Regards,

Benjamin

Top Tags