cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Bulk Data Migration

DamianCastillo
1-Newbie

Bulk Data Migration

I am still in the testing phase of our new Windchill 10.1 installation. One big concern for me is the data migration.

I want to bulk migrate our data in order to prevent two ways of accessing and working with our CAD data. I understand that junk in junk out is part of this process so I was wondering what are some best practices for bulk data migration.

Has anyone used the new Bulk Data Migration Tool for Windchill 10.1?

How should I update the current revision of my parts once I get them into Windchill? Our parameters were never set with "designate" which may pose some issues for me to consider.

Should I Bulk Migrate the top priority product lines we are mainly dealing with first and then migrate the older data in waves?

How much should I migrate at once to keep things easy on my end?

Any tips, ideas, thoughts or things for me to consider?

I want to thank all of you ahead of time for any help or suggestions you are willing to share. I am a one man team, so I am getting a little stressed out with making this work.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

1 REPLY 1

Damian,
I have been researching this topic for some time now and have gathered bits and pieces that will hopefully help.

Has anyone used the new Bulk Data Migration Tool for Windchill 10.1?

Steelcase would also like to use the Bulk Data Migrator Tool for Windhcill 10.1 but it requires a GSO engagement. PTC will not allow customers to use this software on their own. PTC please correct me if I am wrong because I would very much like to use this tool without a GSO engagement.

How should I update the current revision of my parts once I get them into Windchill? Our parameters were never set with "designate" which may pose some issues for me to consider.

I think you are asking how to make the revision of the CAD Document equal to the revision of the WTPart once you create the WTParts in Windchill and link them to the CAD Documents. We have a similar situation here. Our CAD Documents use numerics for the revision. Our "real" revision is a designated attribute called PART_REVISION that is designated and stored in Windchill. This PART_REVISION is manually kept in synch with the revision of the part in our separate BOM management system (CoCreate WorkManager v6.2->dinosaur). Therefore when we migrate the parts/BOMs from WorkManager to Windchill we need to link the correct CAD Documents with the correct WTParts by using of course the Number attribute and also the PART_REVISION attribute. We now have a decision to make with our existing CAD Documents: Do we modify the revision attribute to contain the same value as the PART_REVISION attribute? In effect "cleaning" up our CAD Document data? Our problem is that the in the old Pro/INTRALINK days we never revised. So we may have the situation where revision is 1 but PART_REVISION is A in early iterations and then B in later iterations! I called PTC technical support to ask them if there is a way to clean up this data and they pointed me to a windchill shell command called wt.vc.MasteredSeriesCleanser. However this tool requires coding and shouldn't be used OOTB...

Should I Bulk Migrate the top priority product lines we are mainly dealing with first and then migrate the older data in waves?

Our position is to migrate all of the data to eliminate the use of the legacy WorkManager system. With the WCBM, migration can begin weeks ahead of Go-Live into a hidden domain. On the Go-Live date the data is revealed.
I haven't answered all of your questions but hopefully this information helps a bit.

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image003.jpg@01CDADE0.36CBFC30]
Top Tags