cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Cache or Workspace performance guidelines?

pcnelson
1-Newbie

Cache or Workspace performance guidelines?

At what point doesperformance begin to be negatively affected in regards to quantity of Workspaces, Workspace size, or cache size? During training and implementation PTC recommended rotating WS’s with projects rather than recycling the same WS, which makes sense,but that doesn’t really give a user a clear guideline they can refer to. We currently have the cache set to 7000 MB, but I have seen poor performance with users with 20 WS’s and only a few hundred MB, and other users with one large WS and 5000+ MB, and examples in between. There doesn’t seem to be a consistent threshold where we should start purging. Is there a rule of thumb you use? When all else fails I have resorted to the “nuclear option” of deleting the server side WS’s, the user WS’s, the entire cache file and resetting Creo. We are on 10.0 M020 and Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M130. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:pcnelson)

It is hard to put numbers to the number of workspaces or the size. The cache should be sized so your largest assembly can be in it.

I have always recommended that my users clear workspaces that are no longer needed for active work and delete them.
I have in the past recommended that they always create a new workspace for each of their projects.
One recommendation I have also used is that workspaces should be removed after 30 days and a new one created for new work. You can adjust that timing for how long a normal project takes to get accomplished.

Thank you for your input Ben. We also follow 2 out of your 3 recommendations. Regarding the last one, how do you enforce the 30 day limit? 30 Days would be plenty for them to complete an average project in our case as well.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:pcnelson)

You really can't enforce any of them. You just need to be after them with emails reminding them of the 'good practice'.

The only time I can really force them to clean and delete all workspaces is when I do an upgrade of either Windchill or Wildfire/Creo. I know it isn't required, but I tell them it is highly recommended and IF they have problems after the upgrade, they are on their own for not following what I asked them to do.

Top Tags