cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Character Constraints

joshua.hansen
1-Newbie

Character Constraints

I have a need to limit the allowable special character for a document name. The attribute should allow alphanumeric and the following special characters '- ? , _ ( ) + / # . %'.

Through attribute constraints, can specific special characters be disabled/enabled?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Joshua

4 REPLIES 4

Yes you can use a regular expression constraint. Good luck on the regex!

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image001.jpg@01CFB2F6.B038B8C0]

If you are looking specifically at primary content documents (documents for which the user is uploading a Word document, PDF, etc.) you might not have to add any kind of attribute restraint.

If the Attachments > Document Name preference is set to Yes, then the document name is automatically generated from the file name. Windows explorer does not allow the following characters in file or folder names: \ / : * ? " < > | and therefore Windows would do the job of restricting those characters for you.

If you are creating documents from templates, you can set the Document > Document from Template Filename preference to (or similar values that do not allow user input).

You can also enable the document Title attribute if you want users to still be able to manually specify some kind of document identifier string (but, depending on your use case, you might need to use attribute constraints on the title characters). The title is also enabled using a preference. See the topic "Content Management Preferences" in your Windchill Help Center (or the help center on ptc.com).

There are also 3 properties in wt.properties that affect characters in object names, but those only apply to HTML markup characters (e.g. transforming "<" to "<") -- com.ptc.netmarkets.outputFilter, com.ptc.netmarkets.inputFilter, and com.ptc.netmarkets.filterAllHTML.

However -- to restrict characters for the Title attribute or user-specified document names, and for "no content" documents, URL document labels, and "external storage" document types - you'd need to use the attribute restraints Patrick mentions.

I am busy with installing new laptop with CREO and Windchill access.
Config: IE9
Java 6.0_30
NVIDIA K3100M

Every time I try to access Windchill folders in the Windchill database
CREO crashes or IE stops working, depending which program I use
to access the folder.
All other laptops, which I have installed in the past are working with this config.

I guess I have forgotten something, but I do not what.
Can anybody help me out?
Thanks.

With kind Regards,

Bert Busschers

Sr. Mechanical Designer/CAD Administrator
ME/ID Department

[cid:image001.jpg@01CFB639.BE8D5C00]

Benchmark Electronics Almelo
Lelyweg 10 - 7602 EA Almelo - The Netherlands
+31 546 535209 (tel)
+31 546 535299 (fax)
Bert.Busschers@bench.com<">mailto:Bert.Busschers@bench.com>