cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creating a new softype on PDMLink 10.x

rey
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Creating a new softype on PDMLink 10.x

Hello,

Has anyone successfully used the data loader (wt.load.LoadFromFile) to create a new soft type of a WTDocument using the sample PTC has provided? I tried the following test which worked on 9.x but I can't seem to create it on 10.x. Thanks.

TypeNodeIconRoot,wt/clients/images
BeginTypeDefNode,TestDoc,wt.doc.WTDocument,edit.gif,Test Doc,Test Doc,Test Doc,TRUE,FALSE,TRUE,TestDoc,FALSE
TypeDefAttrValue,OrderNumber,None
TypeDefConsValue,SINGLE_ATTRIBUTE_BINDING_RULE,com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.impl.SingleValuedConstraint,OrderNumber,
EndTypeDefNode

Rey Santos
925-422-0352
3 REPLIES 3
arajagopal
8-Gravel
(To:rey)

Rey,

You may need to start using export and import techniques in 10.x to manage Type definition changes.
Refer "Exporting and Importing Types" section in WCSpecilizedAdminGuide for more information.
rey
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Ayyappan,

In my case, I don't have anything to import from. I'm creating a new sub-type of a WTDocument. I think you are referring more to importing the instances of the objects created from another server. Thanks though. Still have not heard from anyone so decided to do it through the type manager manually.

Rey
arajagopal
8-Gravel

Rey,

ah! Type Manager. You are already in very first step in the .

What I was trying to explain to you, starting from 10.x things are changed on how one can manage soft type changes in system.
One end up with thinking about csv, converting csv to xml and loading xml, until getting into this section "Exporting and Importing Types" in WCSpecilizedAdminGuide.

Here are steps when you are in need to add new document sub-type.

1. Create one xml file as attached. ExportDocDefinition.xml

2. Run the loader from production system wt.load.LoadFromFile -d ExportDocDefinition.xml

3. You are going to see three different xml files in export directory.

4. Import all three xml files into preprod or test system. I just given partial content of xml files for your reference.

* wt.load.LoadFromFile -d WTDocument_ModeledType_0.xml

* w.load.LoadFromFile -d WTDocument_ModeledType_1.xml

* wt.load.LoadFromFile -d WTDocument_ModeledType_2.xml

5. Complete your changes in test system i.e adding new soft-type or updating existing doc types

6. Run functional test

7. Export Complete Doc type definition from test system using ExportDocDefinition.xml as described above, you will see three xml files

8. Import three xml files into Production.

Very important thing, never export and import just sub-type. You are likely going to mess up Layouts if you do so.
Always export top level node i.e WTDocument. The same rule applies to WTPart or any OOTB node hierarchy.

I have not used csv(csv to xml and then load) way of managing of soft types starting 10.x. It may work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Ayyappan
Top Tags