cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Deactivate users

ptc-2057271
1-Newbie

Deactivate users

Hello , We have a requirement to deactivate users. Deactivate in the sense they shoudn't be able to log in to the system. we createda deactivated user group for this and a blanket acl for all object types at site level for this group but that has coused more issues rathe than helping. Please suggest a appropriate method as this we need for Licensing audits
7 REPLIES 7

You can delete the user only from Windchill and that way they will still remain in the directory server.

We only have Corp LDAP configured to Windchill and no default windchill adapter is there. So we cannot delete the users.

"Delete Only from Windchill" button only deletes the user from Windchill database (i.e. Oracle or MS SQL) so it should work for you. Check the "Chapter 8 - Principals (Users, Groups, and Organizations) from Windchill Business Administrator’s Guide for more info.

Hi When I have to delete a User, I do the following: 1. Random Password 2. add "(deleted)" behind the Field Username 3. Remove all groups and put them into the notes field That way I can restore the user when neccessary.

Have you looked at the Windchill Usage Assessment web site? It explains how to deactivate users so they aren't included in the licensed users list. It also mentions that deleting users is not recommended by PTC. http://www.ptc.com/support/usageassessments/windchill/ PTC/USER forums have beat this topic up quite a bit. The PTC/USER concensus was to effectively follow the usage assessment instructions plus the general business administration user cleanup tasks: - Undo checkout or check in work checked out by the user. - Clean out and delete the user's current workspaces - Permanently reassigning disabled users' tasks through their calendar. I may be missing a step or two. This is from memory.

Aha! Found it. http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/fo/st/thread=40709 The summary process from the thread: 1. Change password on account. 2. Complete or reassign open tasks. 3. Delegate assignments indefinitely (see Home > Preferences > Calendar Management) 4. Empty and delete any workspaces. 5. Remove them from any groups 6. Add them to the site-level group "Deactivated Users". 7. Remove them from any Projects, Products, or Libraries that they are a member of. 8. Changed their full name by appending "xxx_Deactivated_" to the beginning of the user's full name. If you follow these steps you will be able to reinstate a user at a later date if they return to the company. The combination of these steps also qualifies the user as "deactivated" which is important from a licensing reporting perspective.

I don't like renaming their full name. When I run a report of the last time someone logged in then PDMLink reports that as two separate users. So I'm guessing there are other areas in the system that will do the same thing.
Top Tags