cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Deleting Files from Windchill

ptcuser2
1-Newbie

Deleting Files from Windchill

Okay, so I have a real problem here and am hoping someone out there can be more helpful than customer service. I continuously am amazed by how many basic functions are either missing or not allowed by software which costs so much to not only purchase but maintain for the life of the product.

SUMMARY:

Cannot delete files out of a Windchill system if dealing with an object with more than a few references.

Okay, so decided to try and rename all files with the idea of putting them in an island (i.e. a context that no one can see). Problem here is there is no functionality which exists to rename more than 1 object at a time. This doesn’t work when you’re dealing with thousands of files.

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptcuser2)

Deleting stuff is very challenging in Windchill. (Much simpler in Intralink 3.x)

Basically I take the same approach.

1. Move everything I want to delete into a separate context. (This helps when running the purge utility).

2. Run the purge utility on that context and only keep the last iteration of each revision.

3. Next, delete all drawings. Normally these go away fine.

4. Try to delete only the latest revision of each assembly. Repeat this until there is only one revision left.

5. Try to delete all remaining assemblies. Some assemblies will require you to delete the dependent part at the same time.

6. Delete all remaining parts.

Sometimes you have to get really creative. For example, create a new iteration of a problem assembly, delete everything in it, and check it back in. Then purge all iterations of that assembly except the latest. This will eliminate the dependencies that assembly previously had to any parts and will often allow you to delete it.

Tom U.

While I feel your pain regarding CS’s typical modus operandi, there is a way to rename multiple files at once.

If you rename an assembly, all required components will be listed. Check your preferences (Operation > Rename > Collector) has the option Include dependent CAD / Dynamic Documents set to Required or All.

Once you set that preference, any top-level drawing or assembly renamed will include every down-level component. With components listed you can have it gather all drawings for the listed objects. However, it will also include files you may not want to rename like formats, library/COTS parts, etc.

In Reply to Don Senchuk:

Thanks for the response. I am aware of that preference and have it set as you've suggested. That said, you wind up with thousands of files in the rename collector and i see no way to easily attached a sufix or prefix to all files. You would have to rename each one individually which would take an entire day. Is there a way to do what i'm asking that you're aware of?

Yeah.

1. Check the boxes of the files you wish to add a prefix (or suffix) to.

2. Pick the Set New Name icon ([cid:image001.png@01D019F9.EF5AA2B0]).

3. In the pop-up window, type *.* in the Set boxes.

[cid:image002.png@01D019F9.EF5AA2B0]

4. Type prefix_*.* in the To boxes.

[cid:image003.png@01D019FA.40B3D4B0]

5. Results will be all the chosen numbers with prefix_ in front of the number, file name and name.

This will save tons of time if you just want to add a generic prefix (or suffix) to the number. Yes, you still need to go through and verify the correct boxes are checked, but that sure beats typing it in three times for every file.

Should have added ‘in the Rename interface’ prior to instructions in #1.

That is awesome, can't believe i never tried that little button. Perhaps if they called something like "bulk rename" i may have seen and attempted. Thanks a lot!

Top Tags