cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Deleting Users

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Deleting Users

Does anyone know of a way to hide/deactivate/suspend PDMLink users instead of deleting them? Currently about 80% of the people listed are previous employees carried over from the Intralink migration. I would like to clean this list up to only include current employees. I did some testing and the only drawback to deleting them seems to be that we lose the ability to search for objects "Created By" or "Modified By" these deleted individuals. Is there any way to preserve this search capability while not have to see this huge number of non-current employees in the list? Thanks.

Tom Uminn
Engineering Systems Analyst
trans-matic Mfg.
616-820-2499
-<">mailto:->

5 REPLIES 5

Create a group under site called Deactivate Users and all unwanted users to this group.Run WinDU command and select only Report Registered Users abd see the log file under windchill/windu/logs and check the count of active users.

Regards
Venkata Kotra

Connected by Motorola

"Uminn, Tom" <-> wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to hide/deactivate/suspend PDMLink users instead of deleting them? Currently about 80% of the people listed are previous employees carried over from the Intralink migration. I would like to clean this list up to only include current employees. I did some testing and the only drawback to deleting them seems to be that we lose the ability to search for objects “Created By” or “Modified By” these deleted individuals. Is there any way to preserve this search capability while not have to see this huge number of non-current employees in the list? Thanks.

Tom Uminn
Engineering Systems Analyst
trans-matic Mfg.
616-820-2499
-<">mailto:->

AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

Here is what we do to inactivate a user.

1) Remove the user from all group and role memberships. Since we manage
context role memberships by group, we just have to removal all group
memberships.

2) Change their e-mail from their now inactive e-mail to an administrative
e-mail address. We used to make the inactive account e-mails null, but we
have found that many workflow robots and other notification processes fail
abnormally when an e-mail account is null, so it is better to have
something than nothing.

3) We append the text " (Inactive)" to the user's full name. For example,
if my active account id is "D12345," my full name is "Anderson, A", and my
e-mail is "aanderson@server.com", then when I leave the company, the
administrators change my account information to id = "D12345," full name =
"Anderson, A (Inactive)", and my e-mail is "windchill_admin@server.com".

Al

I like Al's approach. The only thing I would do in addition to this for security purposes is remove their "Organization" info. This will add another layer of access removal for them.

[cid:image001.gif@01CDC246.18B162B0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member

I should probably add that our initial authentication is not controlled by
Windchill, but by our corporate LDAP. Therefore, we also remove that ID
from the corporate LDAP making it impossible for anyone to log in with
that account. The Windchill clean up is then just a matter of internal
house keeping. The actual locking of the account occurs when we remove
that ID from the corporate LDAP (CWS).

Al

wsaad
11-Garnet

There are three primary options available within Windchill to delete or de-activate users from the application. I have laid out which option is preferred depending on the environment and use case. Also, I would like to point out that the ability to search against objects created/modified by users deleted from the Ldap is possible starting in Windchill 10.0.

Option 1
De-activate User: Recommended when it's likely that the user account will need to be re-activated in the future

* Follow steps laid out in the Instructions section (pages 4-6) of the following link,
Top Tags