cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Duplicate objects

ssk
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Duplicate objects

Friends,

Step 1. import to workspace, and checkin CustomerA part1.prt

Step 2. import CustomerB part1.prt to workspace. PDMLink notes naming
conflict with part1.prt that already exists on the server. Update and
synchronize only give me options to either...

- replace CustomerB part1.prt in workspace with CustomerA part1.prt on
server (Update, Download)

- overwrite CustomerA part1.prt on the server with CustomerA part1.prt
in the workspace (Update, Reuse, Checkin)

but I need to preserve both CustomerA part1.prt and CustomerB part1.prt at
the same time.

Is this something possible? If yes, please let me know a suggested
process that can meet this requirement.

Thanks,
Sunil
3 REPLIES 3

There's no way that I know if to have two CAD objects with the same file name in Windchill PDM link. What I would think you would do is rename the files to make them unique somehow. Like for example C1Part1.prt and C2Part1.prt or something like that.

Now that I think of it though you could maybe revise the first cad doc, then replace it with the new customer 2 part. So the first revision would be customer one and the second revision would be customer two. They would both be listed at part.1 but they would be different revisions.

GaryMansell
6-Contributor
(To:ssk)

We experience exactly this problem and it is an

Sometimes this is so complex a mess it is not even possible and the only other option open to you is to open the CAD assembly in the native CAD tool in it's entirety and rename it in this before uploading it to a ProjectLink project and then trying to check it into PDMLink from there (You could try and import it directly into PDMLink if there are no filename clashes but the more you use this system the more chances of filename clashes you get - especially if you work with a customer of several different projects with similar datasets).

The problem with this also is that we often need to recieve updates of data from the customer (sometimes only deltas of objects that have changed), and to then get this data renamed and into PDMLink replacing the outdated components is also a nightmare.

Another problem with this is that sometimes we need to send data back to the customer with the original filenames that it was sent to us with, so we have to perform the nightmare rename scenario again in the other direction with all the problems with feature level references!!!

If there is anyone on this board who can explain to me why this WGM uniqueness check is required, I would be very interested to hear it because PTC have not been able to explain why it is necessary...

Regards

Gary Mansell

kjohns101
1-Newbie
(To:ssk)

Intralink had this capability with"branching' we used it to control various configurations with same part numbers,versions,life cycles etc, this functionality is not in PDMLink nor do I hear any plan to put it back in. We controled vendor configurations as well as our own. until the specific configuration was approved for release, all having the same BOM.

Top Tags