cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Effectivity Context

ptc-1470646
1-Newbie

Effectivity Context

Hi Experts,

Can someone please let me know why effectivity context is used for. Any practical example will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Dhananjay

1 REPLY 1
RussPratt
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-1470646)

Effectivity Context is used to define an effectivity that is specific to the usage of a component. It allows effectivity statements to be defined independently for different systems (contexts) in which the component is used. This may be expanded to include the case where the two different systems are used together in one larger system.

A simple example:

I have products TRUCK1 and CAR1. At this time, both use ENGINE3.

I know that ENGINE3 has an effectivty date of - January 1, 2010. However, I also desire to know which units of TRUCK1 and CAR1 use ENGINE3. Since TRUCK1 and CAR1 are manufactured independently and in different volumns on different schedules, knowing that ENGINE3 was effective on a specific date does not necessarily tell me what units of TRUCK1 and CAR1 use ENGINE3. It turns out that ENGINE3 was first used on TRUCK1 with TRUCK1 serial number 2556, and first used on CAR1 serial number 32971.

Therefore, in order to track the usageeffectivity of ENGINE3, I must define TRUCK1 and CAR1 as effectivity contexts, and assign the following effectivity statements to ENGINE3.

ENGINE3 Effective in context of TRUCK1, s/n 2556 and up

ENGINE3 Effective in context of CAR1, s/n 32971 and up

I hope this helps. Often meaninful effectivity examples depend a great deal on how your organization views and defines effectivity itself.

Russ

Top Tags