cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Flexible Change and Resulting Object cardinality

mwaite
10-Marble

Flexible Change and Resulting Object cardinality

Under "Legacy" change there was a built in rule that prevented a revision from being the result of more than one Change Notice.  As soon as someone tried to add the revision to the results table of a second task, Windchill stopped them and threw up an alert telling them they could not do that.

That rule does not seem to be enforced under "Flexible" change.  I can have Rev A of the same Document be the result of any number of Change Notices.  That doesn't make sense in our company.

Does anyone know if there is a way to configure that rule in Flexible change?

4 REPLIES 4

Hi 

Isn't the idea behind flexible change is to be able to manage cardinality between objects as you want ? have you tried to check if cardinality rule can handle your case ?

Regards

Using article CS268023 as a reference.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS268023

The relation between the Change Task and the Resulting object is ChangeRecord2.

That didn't change with Flexible Change.

In past versions of Windchill there was a rule that the resulting object could only be in one ChagneRecord2 relationship.

That is no longer the default behavior.

I don't see a way to configure that behavior with the Change Association rules.

d_graham
17-Peridot
(To:mwaite)

Hi,

I usually write a listen to handle situation like this.

In short, you have a standard and you want the users to be forced to comply with it automatically. Correct?

If I understand you correctly a listener can be written to listen for the event in question. In this case, adding a resulting object to a Change Activity.

When your listener is triggered by the event code runs that checks if the standard is adhere to.

If it is not an exception is thrown which presents a window to the user with whatever you want to explain to them. In this case maybe something like object X is already a Resulting object on Change Activity Y on Change Notice Z and cannot be added to a second open Change Notice.

Is this the kind of thing you’re looking for?

David

David

mwaite
10-Marble
(To:d_graham)

Hi David,

Thank you for the response. I see how that would work, but ...

we have a strict "no customization" policy.

I know there is a fine line between configuring and customizing.

This used to be "Out of the Box" functionality in 10.2.

I'm hoping there is a way to "configure" Windchill to go back to the old behavior.

It's baked into all our training.

If Document 123 Rev A is a result of more than one CN, then the first CN to finish sets the state to "Released" and the second CN has lost the capability to re-work that Document.

I have a ticket open with PTC. Waiting to see what they say about it.
Top Tags