cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Frustrated with Windchill

ptc-6064077
1-Newbie

Frustrated with Windchill

I so want to do certain 'basic' things in Windchill that I don't seem to be able to manage. I've been trying to learn Windchill; but, 3rd party books are scant (if they exist at all). And I don't have the small fortune required to negotiated PTC University. The online Help is atrocious. I simply want to be able to add an attribute (create a new attribute) for (or within) an existing document, e.g. a reference document with no content, and I want to be able to search (advanced search) to be able to produce results on a single keyword found in the content of the attribute created for that document. For example, I want an attribute titled "Capability Study Notes" for some manufactured part, and I want to be able to search through all parts that have that created attribute, for a created reference document, that contain the word "cpk result." Is this not possible in Windchill? Is there some way that this can be managed that just isn't possbile on the intuitive level in Windchill? (I don't seem to have the ability to add attributes to anything in Windchill. There's no option available to do so, in what I'm able to discern.) Is there any online content that describes how to produce the results that I'm looking for? I subscribe to Scribd; but, I have found nothing there that answers this particular question. I'll take any insight into this, even if it is delivered pejoratively. Please help!!! Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6064077)

"add an attribute (create a new attribute) for (or within) an existing document"

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/79061/en/WCBusAdminGuide.pdf

Go to Chapter 13, "Type and Attribute Manager" for details. Just wade through it, and play in the Type and Attribute manager to set up your global attributes then add a newly created attribute to an existing or new light type as either a "Document" or "Reference Document."

As for Search, you will be able to use "Advanced Search" for that new attribute once you create your new document IBA on your existing or new document type. Use "Add" to add your instantiable document type with the new attribute, then select that type (only) and then "Add" your new attribute as "Criteria" where you can search on your value with wildcards, like "*my text for search*".

Alternatively, if you have keyword search running properly, which should be the case, then just typing the text for that IBA into the keyword search should yield the result you are looking for. Debugging key word search if you include indexing for content of files, however, if a specialty system admin function that is beyond this particular thread about adding an IBA on a document type and searching for it.

If the manual is too much, and if you have a local Windchill Sales guy, then ask your Sales person to lend you an AE (application engineer) to do a webex and walk you through the basics of some fundamental business admin like this. If PTC thinks you might eventually buy something, then they'll likely spare some AE time to give you some webex knowledge transfer, or maybe come by for a demo and Q&A.

Al

Thank-you for this!

John,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been frustrated by the Windchill documentation, and I'd be happy to talk with you about what would improve your experience. All of the PDF content in the chapter that Al referenced above is also available in the Windchill Help Center, beginning with this topic:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=TypeMgrAbout&action=show

Regards,

Jane

Jane Zupfer
VP, EPRD Publications
E -

Hi John,

Checking in to see if you are all set?

Best,

Toby

Yes, as of now. Thanks!

Thanks for the update John.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Best,

Toby

First thing, you'll need administrative access to add an Attribute (IBA = Instance Based Attribute, means User Defined Attribute).

Second thing, you'll need to understand the difference between [Data Object] Type and an Instance. The type is essentially a blueprint that defines all instances. The instances are the actual Documents. I'm thinking this may be a key component of your frustration... in order to add an attibute to an instance you need to add it to the blueprint and as a result it will be added to all instances of the Type.

To find information on accomplishing this refer to the Help Center:

Specialized Administration > Tailoring Business Objects > Type and Atribute Management > Working with the Type and Attribute Management Utility and within that you'll probably want to have a look at Managing Global Attributes.

If you only want to add the attribute to certain types of Documents, consider creating a Soft Type (sub-Type) of WTDocument or Reference Document and adding the Attribute to the new Soft Type.. For this refer to Managing Types... again Admin access is required.

Your needs may be satisfied by a simpler approach though. Consider creating a Reference Document (instance) and naming it "Capability Study..." and relating it to the WTPart that is the subject of said Capability Study.

Reading your post, I was unclear on whether you were wanting to add the Attribute to a Document or Part.

Keir, thank-you for this. Your explanation was very lucid and helpful. By the time of your reply, I had realized that I could take the approach that you suggested with creating a named reference document to associate to a WTPart. This worked rather well. I was hoping to determine if I could add an attribute to 'anything' in Windchill; but, I was working through frustration. I obviously don't have the level of privilege required to assign attributes, and I wasn't clear that administrative privileges were required to do so. Again, thank-you for your gentle and cogent response.

Top Tags