cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to Automate the Creo with Windchill?

sghongade-2
1-Newbie

How to Automate the Creo with Windchill?

Hi everyone,

I am going to automate the creo and windchill integration testing , i know the  how to handle the windchill object or web elements using the Selenium Webdriver. now i want to test the the creo and windchill integration. how is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

AutoIt. Creo doesn't have a web interface.

Creo absolutely does have a built in browser, but its really using your default web browser within Creo.

Configuring Creo to communicate with Windchill PDMlink is done thru the Server Management GUI within Creo.

In simple terms, you point Creo to your database using nearly the same address you would used to access PDMlink via a stand-alone web browser.

He is trying to automate integration testing. Having a web browser does not allow controlling Creo operations. Weblink might, but I think that takes too much cleverness. AutoIt is designed to automate application control, including starting and stopping them, features beyond the reach of Weblink.

Hey Devid,

Right i am thinking about integration testing, Creo with Windchill.

is it possible to use the trail file to automate creo and then integrate this trail file with selenium test script?

and one another question, if i used the non-native CAD application with windchill, what would be the tool to automate the non - native CAD with Windchill. 

I have no idea how Selenium works, but it looks like it is a browser driver. Unless it can pass commands to arbitrary executables I don't see how any tool like that would work. That's why I suggested AutoIt, which was designed to replace a person in operating a computer in an automated way. It looks like Selenium would be a tool used by AutoIt, rather than the other way around. AutoIt can run Creo, though PTC's dependence on custom a UI makes it more of a challenge than desirable. Not many (any?) Windows dialog boxes in the Creo UI to easily operate, but it just takes some guessing and working to get what's required.

For future reference: Selenium - Web Browser Automation

David,

In my personal expereince Selenium would be the right tool to go ahead with the thread starter's need. I agree with your doubt that Selenium is a web driver tool and it is quite challenging to use Selenium and create Scripts that are reliable over time. At the same time, AutoIT isn't secure to run in a enterprise network/environment.  We had tried using AutoIT just to handle the browser login initially and we burnt our fingers badly. AutoIT is simply blocked as a malware/virus by most corporate Anti-virus setup and it cannot pass through.

Top Tags