cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to edit a part instance attribute

mspencer
5-Regular Member

How to edit a part instance attribute

We are using part configurations and part instances to track serial numbers of high value items in our assemblies.  I would like to have an attribute on the instances for some general notes.  Currently this is a global attribute which I have added to the 'Part Instance' type, it is added to the edit layout, the visibility is set to read/edit, and the policy administration gives the 'modify' permission to users.  It correctly shows the attribute on the item information page.  However, there is no edit option on the action dropdown box on the part instance.  There is no checkout/checkin for these type of objects either.  How can I enable a user to be able to edit an attribute?  Attached is a screenshot of the attribute setup and layout for this type.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine
(To:mspencer)

How to set a custom attribute on New Part Instance Wizard in Windchill PDMLin

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS202229

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

How to set a custom attribute on New Part Instance Wizard in Windchill PDMLin

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS202229

mspencer
5-Regular Member
(To:SergeyEfimov)

I did exactly that.  There is no problem getting the custom attribute there and adding information into it at creation.  After creation there is no way to edit it, that is the problem.

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

Editing a Part Instance

Part Instance Edit.png

mspencer
5-Regular Member
(To:SergeyEfimov)

I looked again this morning, and it seems to be there exactly as expected.  The changes must have taken a while to take effect in the system?  I don't know, but it is fine now.  Thanks!

mspencer
5-Regular Member

Last post for clarification.

The issue is the incorporation.  My system does not let me edit an instance if it has been incorporated.  If you remove the incorporation it works as expected.

Top Tags