cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to prevent any modifications to CAD objects in Workspace

mikebuchter
4-Participant

How to prevent any modifications to CAD objects in Workspace

Is there any other preferences to change to prevent any modifications to CAD files WorkGroup Manager.

We are using the "Locked" files setting but that is not 100% effective.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am using SolidWorks.

4 REPLIES 4
Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:mikebuchter)

Hi Mike,

Are those CAD Files in a "Work in progress" Lifecycle state? If yes, then its a typical practice to use that "Lock" function.

You may look at a preference that enables the "Lock" automatically to objects that are added to the Workspace, but not checked out.

"Lock" gives the user the warning that the object is about to be modified and asks

1. "OK" (means agree to modify and it will unlock")

or

2. "Cancel" (Means user stops here and does not proceed to modify).

I think you are not comfortable with the option 1 above, hence you are that its not 100% effective , I understand that users  sometimes work like that, especially newer users.

You can go the easy way to train them from your super users.

However if you still want a complete fool proof mechanism, then use Change management - Change Notice to give the authority on which objects User is entitled to modify, other objects will be in "Released" LC state, which by design is access controlled and no normal user can even checkout that.

Think it over. Let us know!

Best Regards

Hari

mikebuchter
4-Participant
(To:Hari_Vara)

Hello Hari,

These are files that are "In Work" with the Lock on.  It seems to work fine when you open up the part by itself and attempt to save it.  It will automatically go to Save-as, which is correct.  We have found that if these parts are in an Assembly and it gets saved, sometimes it attempts to save the component, you will get a prompt in WGM to "Continue" as the only option, therefore, it will remove the lock and create a "modified" iteration without being checked-out.  We have found that this is also the case with "Released" parts as well.

The other issue is that if a part is Locked when added to the workspace, once it get's checked-out and checked back in, the lock is permanently removed unless it is manually changed.

The whole point and issue is that any file that is not checked out in your workspace should not be able to be modified regardless of its state (In Work or Released).

avillanueva_0-1706704220325.png

I assume you were referring to the preference above which should automatically lock files when added to the workspace. Can you describe how this is failing? Perhaps its a limitation with Solidworks WGM that it cannot stop CAD from saving. I also found this article but this might be related to opening files from outside the workspace:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS355979?source=search

See my response above to answer your question.

Top Tags